Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:08 PM   #21

One minor point on the 35 lens - Pentax makes two of them: the DA 35 f2.4, which is not a macro and the DA 35 f2.8 Macro Limited lens. The 2.4 lens is new, it's really lightweight and inexpensive. I was really impressed with it, the images I've seen are better quality than you'd expect from what's priced as a consumer grade lens, and it seems pretty well made, when I handled one. It would probably be excellent for you if you don't mind giving up the macro ability. The DA 35 Macro falls into the Limited category, which means that it's built more like a tank (all metal) so it's a bit bigger, heavier and more expensive. It's very sharp like a macro lens should be but the bokeh can be "jittery" at times. I have one and use it for close-ups (works great for that) and walk-about. I think the new lens may be a better choice for walk-about though.

Everyone has their own point of comfort when it comes to weight. Some people prefer the bigger (still) K20 over the K5, but not me! One of the things I was surprised about when I first switched to a dSLR is that it was easier to hold steady than my Sony F717 (no anti-shake). So a bit of extra weight seemed to be a good thing for me. But there's such a thing as too much weight and I found that I would occasionally struggle when using the K20 with some of my heavier lenses. I find I have less trouble with the K5, so things are relative.

There are several ways to carry a camera that help with carrying more weight. A good neck-strap is one of them, makes a huge difference (the neck strap that comes with the camera isn't one of the good ones). There's also several other options (black rapid R strap, and cotton carrier come to mind).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:27 PM   #22

No camera stores with the Pentaxes. The local independent store carries only Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica, and Olympus PEN.

I have tried the 550D and 60D, the first seemed fine in size and weight, the second too big, but I did not honestly focus on the weight.

Perhaps if I can get Chester to pull harder on his toys when we're playing, it will help my muscle strength!

Name:  CV .jpg
Views: 474
Size:  103.6 KB
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:39 PM   #23

Thanks for the correction on the 35/2.4. I forgot which was which, and the $200 lightweight 2.4 version is the one I was interested in.

I have preferred to carry my cameras in my hand or in a bag. The rapid R straps look quite useful, but a strap across my chest would not work because of a bit of arthritis there.

I used to carry a Panasonic FZ15, whose size was manageable.

K-5: 131 x 97 x 73mm
FZ15: 128 x 87 x 106 mm

The size is not that different, actually. (That constant f2.8 lens was nice.)
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:43 PM   #24

if you found the 60D heavy, the k-5 is a bit more hefty. So if that is something you are concern about, the k-r or T2i would be the better option.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:51 PM   #25

Hmmmm. Per B&H specs, both body only.

60D: 23.8 oz (675g) size 5.69 x 4.17 x 3.09
K5: 23.3 oz (660.54g), size 5.2 x 3.8 x 2.9

Weight is a little lighter for the K5 and it's definitely smaller, not heftier.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:54 PM   #26

yes it is compare to the k-r or the t2i.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:25 PM   #27

My thought is that I will go out this weekend and check the weight of a 60D. I know it is a bit bigger and so the feeling may be different, but it will give me a good idea of that weight in the shape and general dimensions of a camera. (Unless someone reading this thread, who has a K-5, lives in the Orlando area and wishes to show it to me!)

The quality I see from some of the K-5 pictures really impresses me. The photographer is the major element, of course, but what can be done with the camera still is very encouraging.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:23 AM   #28

All the aps-c CMOS all produce great photos. But the glass and the photog has allot to so it it. You will not see much or any difference between k-5 and a k-r with the same lens. The 12mp and the new 16mp sensors are both excellent. So I would not go with the thinking the k-5 will take better photos.

I would find the one that fits your ergo the best. As that will make it easier for you to operate on a daily basic. Have fun playing with the demo cameras this weekend at the shop. And bring a sd card with you and bring the test photos home to see what you think. Allot of the photos posted on line all have a good amount of editing with all the different models. That is why allot of them look so good. And the web size really do not show you really the iq of the lens and camera combo.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:02 PM   #29

After handling several cameras this morning, I have decided to stick with the K-5 order. The size should work well enough, which is really central in whether I take the camera with me. I like the idea of a weatherized camera, since it has been know to rain in central Florida from time to time. (I even saw brief snow flurries one Christmas eve.) There is even rumored to be an ocean somewhere around here. I hope to have the camera in about a week.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:42 PM   #30

G'day MB

I'm going thru a similar exercise at the moment but coming from a slightle different angle

I've just last night spent some time on DPReview comparing optical reviews of the 14-140 with the nikon 18-200 and am amazed at the 14-140 performance ... it seems to equal the nikon lens most of the time & exceeds the nikon lens with CA just about all the time

However, I also take other comments re- smaller sensors & noise into account too, but coming from a P&S sensor, 'anything' should be better
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote