Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
ok thinking price is no issue here
S95 in that case.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:37 PM   #12

so the 95 is a tad bit better when it comes to indoor pics over the 4000 but not a whole lot, correct...
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:12 PM   #13

That is correct. The indoor performance, when using the built-in flash unit, of the SD4000 and the S95 are very similar.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
That is correct. The indoor performance, when using the built-in flash unit, of the SD4000 and the S95 are very similar.

Sarah Joyce
That's a somewhat misleading answer, since low light comparisons are generally made without flash. Additionally, you can't realistically use a flash outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
so the 95 is a tad bit better when it comes to indoor pics over the 4000 but not a whole lot, correct...
The S95's sensor is still 40% larger and thus can shoot at lower ISOs in comparable conditions. If you shoot only indoors, use a flash, and print small prints, then sure, there's very little difference.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:53 AM   #15

wow, now I'm confused and my friend too on which one is best for them.... whoa, there's just too many little things out there with so many cameras to choose correctly. I myself like a lot of pics indoors with no flash to give it a natural looking pic with tones, etc. unless it's just too dark then a flash is definitely needed. They are not sure if they will use the flash more indoors or without, as it really depends on the setting they are at, right.

so if the 4000 and 95 are so similar i can't see why the price is so much higher for the 95, i hate to believe that price in this point may be b/c it is better quality? am i silly for thinking that? if the sensor of the 95 is larger then picture quality over all should be just that much better, right?

just trying to understand this more to be able to explain it better to my friend b/c they know absolutely nothing about camera, just what they don't like,lol...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:59 AM   #16

If you are going to take outdoor photos at night, you will need the much larger sensor of the s95 over the SD or SX camera. As there is no way for the built in flash to produce enough light to light up the outdoor shots if the subject is more then 10 feet away.

There is a big difference between the SD and the S95. They one produce similar results in good lighting daylight shots. The second the light level drops, there is a huge swing of performance to the s95. That is why fiveO side it was a misleading answer. To get low light performance you will have to pay more for it. The s95 just does not match up in the the low light department.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:23 AM   #17

you mean the 95 surpasses the others when it comes to low light? correct. Not sure i read into your response correctly. i kinda got confused on the part you said that the 95 "does not" match up in the low light performance.... as they will be using it more for indoor pics, not sure with or without the flash more....
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:48 AM   #18

Let's see if we can clarify this: Indoor shots without flash- the S95 will be better because of it larger imager. Indoor with flash, the SD4000 and the S95 will have about the same image quality.

Outdoor without flash under good lighting,
the S95 and the SD4000 will have about the same image quality. Outdoor at night, when taking photos of city lights, the S95 will have shorter exposures, and somewhat better image quality. Outdoor at night, and within 12 feet (camera to subject) while using flash, the image quality is similar with both cameras.

The higher price on the S95 occurs due to its larger imager. It uses the same imager that is found in the G12. The SD4000 uses an advanced, back illuminated, CMOS imager. Both cameras have a F2.0 aperture lens at the wide angle position. Both cameras are pocket-sized. The SD4000 works better in the Automatic mode than the S95.

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:03 PM   #19

so why would automatic setting work better on the sd4000? you did a good job explaining it to me and i decided that the 95 was the way to go until you mentioned about the auto setting.... so what is the real difference with a cmos sensor?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:19 PM   #20

The S95 was designed with advanced amateurs as it target market. Advanced ameteurs generally do not shoot in the Automatic Mode. Therefore the S95 design team focused on increasing the numerically high ISO settings and other strictly manual features.

The SD4000 was designed at the same time to be a parallel product camera. That is why the SD4000 also has an F 2.0 lens. The design focus on the SD4000 was to design a camera for those users who preferred to use the Automatic Mode, but who desired better image quality and video capability. So, the SD4000 and the S95 were designed to be parallel camera to address two different market segments.

The S95 was given the G-11/G-12 imager and a higher price. The Sd4000 was given an advanced back side illuminated CMOS imager, that Canon had slated for further development. Both cameras are very good and capable of producing measurably better image quality.

Sarah Joyce