Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:34 AM   #1

Default Sony A580 v/s A55 v/s Canon 60D v/s T3i v/s Nikon D3100.

Which one camera would U choose for your first DSLR, which would last for a few yrs? IQ being the primary consideration. Lens selection and video capability pl b disregarded.What would b the best single lens solution for the above cameras? I have it narrowed down to the 18-250 for the Sony's, 18-200 for the Canon's and the 18-200 for the Nikon. Any news regarding upcoming cameras by these companies?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:54 AM   #2

If those are the only lenses you're looking at, I suggest you drop back to a superzoom camera. Those superzoom lenses aren't any better and they're bigger, heavier, and more expensive than cameras like the Panasonic FZ40.

The advantage of a dSLR is that you can use lenses that are optimized for what you want to shoot. If all you'll ever use is one jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens, you're better off with something smaller, lighter, and cheaper.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:09 AM   #3

But I already have a FZ35. Ok what would b the best lens selection for the cameras mentioned? The Tamaron 18-250 mayb? What abt selection of camera?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
But I already have a FZ35. Ok what would b the best lens selection for the cameras mentioned? The Tamaron 18-250 mayb? What abt selection of camera?
All of the cameras you mention are fit-for-purpose. My candidate
for the 'best' superzoom lens is the Tamron 18-270mm.

My choice would be the Canon 60D and the Canon 15-85mm IS USM
lens. As an FZ35 user, you are used to having a greater zoom range.
The Tamron 18-270mm, Sigma 18-250mm or Canon 18-200mm would
all meet your requirements. A multi-lens approach would give greater
flexibility and better image quality.

Unless you have money to burn, I would buy a camera with the kit lens
and work with it for a while. It will take a little time to figure out what kind
of lens(es) you need.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:22 AM   #5

what do ou shoot mostly
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:47 AM   #6

The notion that image quality is your most important consideration is at odds with a superzoom lens is what TCAV is referring to. In any system, you are better off from an IQ standpoint using 2 or 3 lenses instead of 1.

Now comes Wave's point: the appropriate lenses/flashes/tripods you will need to improve your photography will be driven by what types of photos you want to take.

In essence you have to get rid of the notion that a DSLR is a magic point-and-shoot. It's not. For some things you will not notice much improvement in image quality over your current camera by using a DSLR with superzoom lens. Until we know what types of photography you want to shoot we can't recommend lenses/flashes/tripods that will be necessary in addition to whether one body or system has advantage over another for YOUR specific needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Those are some fine cameras you're looking at, but the images you get from them will only ever be as good as the lenses you're considering, and thus, probably won't ever be much better than the images you're getting now from your FZ35. You're talking about getting a very good camera, and putting a mediocre lens on it. What you'll get is mediocre images.

Purely from the standpoint of image quality, I'd say that the Sony A580 is your best choice, but if recording videos would be a big part of what you want to do, I'd say it would be a toss up between the Canon 60D and the Sony A55, in which case a superzoom lens would be ok. But for still images, they'll all be wasted on any of those lenses.

And again, depending on what you want to shoot, the availablity of lenses and accessories might sway that recommendation one way or another.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:08 PM   #8

Thank U TCav, John G, Corkpix, and Wave01 for your inputs.I am no professional,nor an xpert in anyway. Generally I would take pics of my children,around the house,at parties,wildlife,hunting etc etc. I was earlier inclined towards Pentax k-r, but there is no dealer or retailer for it where I live, therefore no after-sales service. Sony, Canon, Nikon and Olympus have service facility here, therefore formed the basis of my choices. I have visited various sites dpreview,snapsort,imaging resource etc and narrowed down my options to the above. Right now I am inclining towards the a580, unless U convince me otherwise.

Last edited by Fayyaz; Mar 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:34 PM   #9

Any of those bodies should do ok for what you've got in mind, but those jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses are dim and slow to focus, so they probably won't work very well for some of what you want to do.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:22 AM   #10

Ok, initially it's the kit lens , the basic 18-55 prob or whatever is being offered, but which camera body which wouldn't need replacement for quite sometime (3-5yrs) ?
Another question I have is regarding the Canons and their sensor size. Generally it is believed that larger sensors with lesser pix crammed have better IQ,But this is nt true for Canons.Their sensor is the smallest in their class and more mp(18),yet their IQ is right at the top?????

Last edited by Fayyaz; Mar 16, 2011 at 2:37 AM.