Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:12 PM   #1

Default what camera to buy? can you help me..

hi.. am an amateur photographer. I like night shots or low light shots. I have practiced shooting in different angles with my current digital camera (fujifilm finepix z) cause i have read a photography book that before you jump into using professional cameras you should learn first how to manipulate the basics of photography.. and so i did.. and now i want to buy a dslr to help me go to the next level of photography.. but i'm confused on what kind of dslr to buy. What i have in mind right now is EOS-1000D, NIKON D40X or GE Power Pro X5. Im thinking of those quite affordable SLR's. Can you help me decide?? Thanks a lot!
kathleen_annievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

welcome.

first off, it is good that you spent some time studying and practicing with your digicam first before buying a dslr.

as for your question, the first thing we can do is take the GE Power Pro X5 off of your list, this camera is not a DSLR, and uses a small sensor that will not be good in low light.

of your 2 choices. the Canon 1000D is probably the better of the 2 options. it allows you to use any of the Canon lenses, whereas the Nikon D40x can only uses nikon lenses with focus motors, which leaves out some fast primes/macros (this can be worked around though). they both were good entry level dslrs when introduced. but keep in mind that the canon is 3 years old now and 1 generation behind, with the nikon being 4 years old and 2 generations behind.

another option you may look into is the Pentax KX, it is a newer entry level dslr and at least here in the USA can be had for very cheap. (I am not sure their availability or price point in the Phillipines)

if you are willing to spend a bit more and want to stick with Canon, they have just released the 1100D which is the replacement of the 1000D.

nikon also has the D3100 which is 2 generations newer entry level camera. (though it still lacks the focus motor like the d40x)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

another option i forgot to mention is a Micro 4/3 system. they offer interchangeable lenses and bigger sensors that do well in low light. the differences being they don't have a mirror for the viewfinder, so you will either be using an electronic viewfinder or the LCD to compose.

Olympus EPL1 and EPL2 (at least here in the USA) are just as cheap or cheaper than the entry level DSLR cameras and can perform just as good.