Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:22 PM   #1

Default Is this Nikon D90 package a good deal?

My wife wants to start taking her love of photography a little more seriously than our Sony point and shoot will allow. She wants to get into some family and baby protraits and has enrolled in a local photography program at our local community college to start learning. We have been shopping around for a good DSLR that is capable of growing with her knowledge and skill and she wants the Nikon D90. I found what I think is a good deal at Costco, but what do I know. Here it is...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

What other accessories would she need before getting started? I am sure we will be purchasing many lenses and props in the future. Is there anything you consider "a must have" that she will be asking for a month from now? Flashes, filters, etc. Please use laymans terms because I am likely to not have a clue if you use to much photography slang
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:40 PM   #2

That's not a bad price. Adorama has the D90 with the 70-300 VR for $1,187. That gets you the 18-55 VR for $13. That's hard to beat.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:07 PM   #3

a flash would be the next thing i think
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:03 AM   #4

Looks like a good deal. The D90 has the same sensor as the D5000 (which is much cheaper but is officially discontinued) but the D90 has a couple of things that make the upgrade worth it IMO including the ability to activate off-camera flash from the camera using the built-in popup flash and a built-in focusing motor that allows you to autofocus with lenses that do not have the motor built-in such as the super-cheap 50mm 1.8. These two features can save you a lot of money over time. It also has a more robust build than the D5000 which comes at the cost of heavier weight. I've had significant hands-on time with both of these cameras if you can't tell.

I agree with zombz that an external flash is a good add-on. Buy Nikon brand for your first one so that you can take advantage of the D90 flash commander. The SB-600 can operate as a slave. Nissin also makes quality flashes that are a bit cheaper that can do the same such as the Di-622.

In addition you'll need basic stuff like a camera bag (I recommend Lowepro slingpack or backpack), lens cleaning brush and an Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote (~$15 and worth every penny). With this camera, the two lenses and the flash she'll be able to go in many different directions with her photography.

The only thing that she might want to add on top of all that is a quality tripod.

Best of luck!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Looks like a good deal. The D90 has the same sensor as the D5000 (which is much cheaper but is officially discontinued) but the D90 has a couple of things that make the upgrade worth it IMO including the ability to activate off-camera flash from the camera using the built-in popup flash and a built-in focusing motor that allows you to autofocus with lenses that do not have the motor built-in such as the super-cheap 50mm 1.8. These two features can save you a lot of money over time. It also has a more robust build than the D5000 which comes at the cost of heavier weight. I've had significant hands-on time with both of these cameras if you can't tell.

I agree with zombz that an external flash is a good add-on. Buy Nikon brand for your first one so that you can take advantage of the D90 flash commander. The SB-600 can operate as a slave. Nissin also makes quality flashes that are a bit cheaper that can do the same such as the Di-622.

In addition you'll need basic stuff like a camera bag (I recommend Lowepro slingpack or backpack), lens cleaning brush and an Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote (~$15 and worth every penny). With this camera, the two lenses and the flash she'll be able to go in many different directions with her photography.

The only thing that she might want to add on top of all that is a quality tripod.

Best of luck!

brad
Thanks for the input everyone! I plan on getting the SB600 flash to get her started. Best Buy seems to have the best pricing at $220. We have a few tripods around that should work for now and the Costco kit comes with a bag. Maybe a diffuser and some filters should be on the list too. I have heard that you can get a filter for a lens she already has to take close-up pictures of flowers and such, without having to buy a macro lens just yet. What one can I use?
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote