Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:00 PM   #1

Default Looking for an awesome HD 8-10mp camera

Hey guys, i want to take vivid and colorful photos but there are a lot of expensive cameras that don't worth it.

Sony and Canon have disappointed me. I really hate their noisy photos (e.g. T-70 or SD3500/4000, yelowish photos at night). Even my cellphone takes better photos.

I remmember when I had a simple 6MP canon, no noisy, vivid colours. It was perfect, just lack of 720p. I'm talking about a camera made 8 years ago like my Powershot a700

So recommend me a Lumix or another brands. Thanks! or finally a canon/sony without that problem. My budget is 250$, 320$ making an effort

A700 photo sample:
http://www.review-shop.com/Canon_A70...0_Sample_1.jpg

Last edited by Hunterx; Mar 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM.
Hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:08 PM   #2

Thanks in advance
Hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3

The reason why there is more noise on these cameras is because the new cameras cram a lot more pixels onto nearly the same size sensor. The problem isn't Sony or Canon, but rather the trend for more MP on pinhead sensors.

Sony is often berated for cranking up the NR too high, but certainly not for excessive noise comparatively speaking. Canon (who often uses Sony sensors) generally has a good balance between noise and detail and when there is noise, I personally think Canon processes it best. Panasonic makes the noisiest sensors of them all so if you want less noise, there is not a Panasonic that I can recommend.

Of course if you do want a Panasonic, the obvious answer is the LX5 but it's well out of your budget. For Canon, the S95 - also out of your budget. Certainly if you want less noise, stay away from any CMOS-based P&S as CMOS sensors produce more noise than comparatively sized CCD sensors.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:06 PM   #4

HunterX

Here is an idea for you. B&H has the Nikon S6000 for $99.95 right now. I decided to give it a try, and I have been rather impressed. I have received the camera, so I am still testing it. However, with your question in mind I reduced the resolution to 8mp while doing some macro or close-up shots to see the image quality.

Again, I was impressed. What drew me to the camera is the fact that the S6000 has 7X optical zoom, along with 14mp. My tests are continuing and you can read about them in the Nikon P+S folder. But thus far, things look quite good.

I have attached a photo sample.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:45 PM   #5

HI, Sarah.

Are all those white specks actually on the camera, or is the S6000 the source?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:02 PM   #6

No, its just dust on the camera. I checked that too.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote