Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:25 PM   #1

Default Olypus E-500 vs fz28

Hi,,i'm called badacs,,from malaysia

i ama newbie in digital world,,
i have an option due to contrains of my budget,,,
either the FZ28 or the Olympus E-500 evolt

both are cheap for me to start off with and pursue further,,dont think i can afford to go other than the price of these two,,,

OLy is rm700 MYR,,kit lens and full set ,,plus plus,

fz28 standard,,,

please ,,i need advise on to which one to buy,,,wish i could get both though..

your commntes are very much highly appreciated,,

thank you All

badacs
badacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:13 PM   #2

G'day badacs

Firstly - welcome to the forum ... I hope that you get your answers and go on to do lots of good photography

The 2 cameras you ask about are very different in their size, shape and lenses

The Olympus E500 has a "four-thirds" sensor which is much larger than the Panny FZ28 sensor - thus it could make bigger enlargements before signal noise or optical distortions become very visible

However
The Panny FZ28 has a very powerful [and sharp] zoom lens whereas you state that the Oly has its kit lens [of unknown focal lengths]

In your message you tell us that you "are a newbie to the digital world" ~ as such my suggestion would be to go for the FZ-28 - mostly as it is a newer camera than the Oly and there are many people here who can help you with more questions

The FZ-28 has many lovely features, they are well made cameras with good lenses and I am sure that you would enjoy using it

Hope this is some help
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3

oh wow Thanks for the reply,,,i had the canon s5is,,8mp,,was fun but wa looking to play advance a bit into digi world DSLR,,so the Oly was very cheap with all the stuff thrown in,,,FZ28 is also beautiful i am told,,but spares are pretty expensive back here,,,as for the Oly kinda cheap and she feels good to hold,,i am quite big and tall,,6'2 ,,

the fz 28 will be on my list since you have mentioned and i have started saving up to get it as a back up,,Oly would be my main,,i guess,,till i consider ,,i am good enough for a better camera,,,

Item(s): Olympus E-System E-500 DSLR

Package includes: Full set accessories that consist of Original Battery, NEW Octopus battery (Just bought), Ori Charger, Kit Lens 14-45mm with front and end cap, 1GB Sandisk Extreme IV 2GB, 1GB compact flash Elite Pro Kingston memory, included, PCMCIA compact flash card reader, screen protector, all original accessories and bag include.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4

badacs-

The Olympus E-500 kit, as described in your post only has a single lens that is 28mm to 90mm, in 35mm terms. That only provides 3.2X optical zoom. In contrast, the Panasonic FZ28 will provide you with 18X optical zoom (28mm to 504mm) that is a huge difference. If a good zoom capability is of interest to you, the FZ28 could be the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:16 AM   #5

Default canon sx20is

ooo,,ok,,whata about the canon sx20is,,,something,,20x zoom,,flip lcd look fun and really good for akward shots,,and low shots,,,

kinda nice to too,,,,

man oh man,,i am having a big headache now,,,canon sx20is or lumix fzz8

thank you all for the comments nd replies,,really helpin me out
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Between the Panasonic FZ28, the Olympus E-500, and the Canon SX20, if it were my choice, I would select the FZ28. The SX20 is ISO limited. That means that when the ISO setting is numerically increased above ISO 200 your image quality will be reduced by visible noise. In contrast, the FZ28 can easily take photos without much visual noise up to and including ISO 800.

I have attached a no flash photo taken at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:33 PM   #7

Oh WOW!!,What a Picture !!,,Thats it,,am going to the shop now and get my Fz28 !!,,
another thing,,
filters...say shot of the moon and stuff,,what do i get??,,,,hahaha,,, so sure of myself now after seeing this Pic !!
I have many friends in this filed but not all are technically in semi pro and compacts,,they tend to fly off into DSLR world many are good street photographers and mind you they are good,,i do get a lot of tips but in camera terms they go,," nevr tried this before,," so i am alwys in a blur
i do ask the local scene forums and not satisfied,,,and all this while i have always look to Steve' reviews,,he is a gntleman in hs revies and i like it and decided to join here

again Thank you All

and wow again!!!,,means now i wont be shooting blanks at a concert or night shows!!!

Thank you All for the advise and guides,,I am happy with this forum and its members,,so far i am being educated as i log in all the time!!

Thanks again

Badacs!!

* any of you ever in Malaysia??? Kuala Lumpur,,look me up ok!!!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:14 PM   #8

Default my pic

Hi all here is the link to my some of my picture with teh canon s15s,,and hopefully i will do better with the fz28

thank you all

badacs
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:14 PM   #9

Default my pic

Hi all here is the link to my some of my picture with the canon s15s,,and hopefully i will do better with the fz28

thank you all

badacs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:27 PM   #10

Congratulations on making your choice for the Panasonic FZ28. I am sure you will enjoy the camera. We have an active group of FZ users in our Panasonic P+S folder. They are a very friendly and helpful group. Post some photos in that folder and we are always there to help.

Sarah joyce