Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:14 AM   #1

Default Which to choose - Sony DSC-HX100v or Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR

Dear Forum Members,

I am wanting to purchase a mega-zoom digital camera from past 2 months and after reading and seeing all available options like the Panasonic DMC-FZ100, Canon Powershot SX30IS, Nikon COOLPIX P500, I decided to narrow down 2 cameras.

1. Sony DSC-HX100V
2. Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR

Now both of these cameras are not yet launched or available, but after reading the specs, I liked both of them.

Especially the HS20 which has a dedicated button for Exposure/Focus Lock which is found in DSLR's. And even the raw shooting feature is available.

I am really confused which one to purchase. As, soon as it launches in India, I shall buy it. Kindly even give any information on the launch dates if known....

Kindly suggest which would be the best among all the mega-zooms. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Saket Bajaj.
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:35 AM   #2

Default Wait to see IQ

Hi
I am also thinking of buying one of the two above cams. But I will wait to see
the IQ (image quality) of the cams. The Fuji does some pixelbinning whereas the SONY do the NR by help of multi imaging.

It seems that the SONY has more "horsepowers" as the max. filming speed is 50p/60p which apparantly equals 28Mbps - this is a lot more than the FUJI.
That requires a speedy processor, so I believe that the SONY are more snappy in key areas (for instance it is VERY fast to capture focus, 0.1sec !)
Wonder how the picture to picture speed will be ?

But until somebody has tested both cams - no one can see which will be the best.

Claus, Denmark
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresman View Post
Hi
I am also thinking of buying one of the two above cams. But I will wait to see
the IQ (image quality) of the cams. The Fuji does some pixelbinning whereas the SONY do the NR by help of multi imaging.

It seems that the SONY has more "horsepowers" as the max. filming speed is 50p/60p which apparantly equals 28Mbps - this is a lot more than the FUJI.
That requires a speedy processor, so I believe that the SONY are more snappy in key areas (for instance it is VERY fast to capture focus, 0.1sec !)
Wonder how the picture to picture speed will be ?

But until somebody has tested both cams - no one can see which will be the best.

Claus, Denmark
Oh thank God!!! I am so happy that my choices are good. I am even glad to know that even you are narrowing in these 2 cams.

You are right, the Sony HX100v is much faster in focusing than the Fuji. I have seen some samples of both the cams and Sony was better than Fuji in higher ISO levels. But until we see this in person its very difficult to say the outcome.

I shall make a comparison on the specs with actual pictures taken by these 2 cams and post it here for our knowledge and understanding. By this way we can discuss certain points in more detail.

Saket Bajaj.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketb View Post
Oh thank God!!! I am so happy that my choices are good. I am even glad to know that even you are narrowing in these 2 cams.

You are right, the Sony HX100v is much faster in focusing than the Fuji. I have seen some samples of both the cams and Sony was better than Fuji in higher ISO levels. But until we see this in person its very difficult to say the outcome.

I shall make a comparison on the specs with actual pictures taken by these 2 cams and post it here for our knowledge and understanding. By this way we can discuss certain points in more detail.

Saket Bajaj.
Sound fine to me, Im searching the internet every day to see if there is a review of the cams... but i think it will take some time before the first review comes. Regards from Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresman View Post
Sound fine to me, Im searching the internet every day to see if there is a review of the cams... but i think it will take some time before the first review comes. Regards from Claus
I don't know if you know this two links and I will say that is better to take them as a "preview" on the product until a more detailed review will come:
HS20 - http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/showcase/...on-a-fuji-hs20
HX100 - http://dcdv.zol.com.cn/218/2188614.html
(use google translator - chinese to your desire language)!

Regards,
Krebs
kr3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr3bs View Post
I don't know if you know this two links and I will say that is better to take them as a "preview" on the product until a more detailed review will come:
HS20 - http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/showcase/...on-a-fuji-hs20
HX100 - http://dcdv.zol.com.cn/218/2188614.html
(use google translator - chinese to your desire language)!

Regards,
Krebs
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the links. The preview was quite a bit. Hope to see more in future once it launches.

The latest information I found that the Sony DSC-HX100v is slated for launch on the 8th of April, 2011 in Japan as per the amazon site for Japan. http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%87%E3...N%3DB004MO09S8

You may have to use the google translator from Japansese to ????

It clearly states "This product is projected release date of April 8, 2011" and the price quoted " 42,261" roughly USD 520.00, which looks on the higher side.

Another interesting thing I found was that this camera has an inbuilt feature to activate "ND Filter" or Neutral Density filter which generally one has to purchase seprately and fix it on the camera lens.

Sony has even launched the 32GB SDXC card which is compatible with this camera.

Saket Bajaj
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:07 AM   #7

hehe.. i am another one waiting for the same. i was almost at the shop to buy a fz-40 /fz100 with my friend.. and got 2 know that HS-20 is there..

my friend bought one and i came empty handed.. still waiting for the HS-20...

nikon- p500 is also there however nikon has never been able to do justice to P&S.

fuji yes i am waiting.. with the reviews of HS-10 and pics.. hs-20 has been my dream since january 5th they announced it...

sony again i doubt how good will it be.. although sony makes sensors for almost all the camera companies.. however the later r&d and post procesing and other stuff.. sony lacked and that's where it caught a bump...

i am waiting for the fuji-hs20.. will be here in april ..looking for some reviews.. else m goin back to pick my fz40 or fz100 and get cpl of filters..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:19 AM   #8

Default Fujifilm finepix hs20 exr

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironhorse View Post
hehe.. i am another one waiting for the same. i was almost at the shop to buy a fz-40 /fz100 with my friend.. and got 2 know that HS-20 is there..

my friend bought one and i came empty handed.. still waiting for the HS-20...

nikon- p500 is also there however nikon has never been able to do justice to P&S.

fuji yes i am waiting.. with the reviews of HS-10 and pics.. hs-20 has been my dream since january 5th they announced it...

sony again i doubt how good will it be.. although sony makes sensors for almost all the camera companies.. however the later r&d and post procesing and other stuff.. sony lacked and that's where it caught a bump...

i am waiting for the fuji-hs20.. will be here in april ..looking for some reviews.. else m goin back to pick my fz40 or fz100 and get cpl of filters..
Hi theironhorse,

Great to know that even you are interested in buying the HS20 EXR. I was just looking at the user manual available at ... http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/s/finepix_hs20exr_manual_01.pdf

This camera has tons of features and the best thing is that it has dedicated buttons for individual functions like the ISO, Apreture, etc.

Its even great to know that you live in India... I live in Bangalore. May I ask you which camera do you use currently and the reason for another one? I'm just curious to know...

Saket Bajaj.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketb View Post
Hi theironhorse,

Great to know that even you are interested in buying the HS20 EXR. I was just looking at the user manual available at ... http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/s/finepix_hs20exr_manual_01.pdf

This camera has tons of features and the best thing is that it has dedicated buttons for individual functions like the ISO, Apreture, etc.

Its even great to know that you live in India... I live in Bangalore. May I ask you which camera do you use currently and the reason for another one? I'm just curious to know...

Saket Bajaj.

just a sony cybershot.. pocket cam..nutin to boast about.. but love photography.. guided a friend and bought him a fz-40 and trust me i am quite amazed with it..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:25 PM   #10

I was looking at the HS10, I haven't decided if there's anything in the HS20 that I should wait for? I was thinking the prices of the 10 will come out as soon as the 20 is on the street.
mcewena is offline   Reply With Quote