Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:49 PM   #1

Default My first DSLR...

Hey all
Just wanting some assistance with choosing an entry level DSLR. I have had SLRs from the 70s and 80s for years and am a bit of an old fogey when it comes to technology but my partner insists we go digital.
I have a few lenses from my old cameras, mostly K-mounts and was wondering if any DSLRs will fit the lenses?
We will mostly be using the camera for action shots of kids and animals but need something which can do a bit of everything. I would really like to find something under approx $600. I'm not after the newest or fanciest, just something simple and fun to use.
Thanks!!

Last edited by miss87; Mar 18, 2011 at 9:25 PM.
miss87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Try the Pentax K-R...good recommended entry level with good image quality and best of all will handle your k-mount lenses. It is reviewed in this month's edition of Popular Photography. Also, the Pentax forum here at Steve's is a friendly bunch!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:48 PM   #3

Your K-mount lenses will work on any of the Pentax dSLR cameras. Either the K-r or the (older) K-x be good choices. I still occasionally use some manual K and M lenses I bought in 1980 on my K7. If some of your lenses are M42 screw-mount, you can use them with an adaptor.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies The K-r is a little expensive for me but I will have a look at other pentax models. Do you know if any have AF built into the camera? My partner will only let me keep the old lenses if I can find a camera that can still auto focus
miss87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:45 AM   #5

All Pentax dslr has motors. So if your old lens are design to af with the body motor. You are set. If the kr is to expensive look at the kx instead.
It is the base Pentax model but is a good camra
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6

I second the Pentax Kx suggestion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:27 PM   #7

Any of the Pentax dSLR cameras will operate any of the K-mount lenses to whatever capability they had new. So if you have K or M lenses, they will continue to be manual focus/manual exposure (you have to push a button to get the camera to meter and set the shutter speed), they don't suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure. If you have an A lens it will add auto exposure but will still be manual focus. If the lens is an F, FA or DA then the lens will be both auto focus and auto exposure.

If your old lenses are K or M, get the camera with the kit lens. Then you'll have auto focus for your partner, and you can still enjoy the old lenses when you want to extend things (it does partly depend on what old lenses you have - some are highly sought after and you'd be crazy to get rid of them, while others might not measure up to any of the modern digital lenses).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:59 PM   #8

I third the Pentax Kx.

A friend bought one in Oct., 2010. She had a P+S before and she's having a ball with this camera. Taking pix of everything in sight.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote