Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:10 AM   #1

Default Upgrade!

Ok! So I have been wanting to sell my video camera setup and get a new video camera for about 6 months now. I recently spoke to other skateboard filmers and they said that nobody cares for SD video anymore. It's all about HD. I kind of thought about it and said, hmm. Would it be better to sell all of my stuff and just get a canon HD video dslr and get 2 in 1?

So what I am wondering is. Sell just my video camera setup and buy a new video camera. For example a panasonic dvx100a or a sony vx2100? Which are great because of how they are built. Very steady and good for filming skateboarding.

Or should I sell everything I own and start from scratch with canon HD DSLR. Or a HD nikon DSLR?

If you guys think I should get a new DSLR what would be better. A nikon d3100, d5000, or Canon t2i? Money is an issue as I am not that rich. I know that the t3i came out so the t2i would be cheaper? I can't afford a d7000 or 7d or 60d.

Thanks!
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Well, i think your friend is right, you really need to step up the HD at this point. No one wants 480p anymore.

That means your cheapest entry will be a DSLR.

The D7000 would be your lowest camera that would be worth looking into on the Nikon side.

The cheapest new point of entry would be the Canon t2i, which offers really great HD video and is used by many amateur and commercial videographers. Magic lantern also has firmware hacks to improve follow focus, audio levels, etc etc. However this would require a complete change in systems.

Another option that could work well for you is get a hacked or hackable Panasonic GH1 (so you want something made in 2009) so the 3rd digit in the serial number should be a 9. You can pick them up used (make sure to get with the nice 14-140 kit lens). the problem is, since the gh2 is so hard to find right now, the gh1 prices are pretty high, upwards of 1200$ for the kit that is hackable. the prices may come down as the gh2 becomes more readily available. the gh2 would be perfect, but will cost you 1600 or so and you will be waiting for it.

so short answer, if you need something now, the cheapest point of entry into real hd video would be the T2i, though i am not sure your lens needs, but you could probably do alot with the kit lens and a cheap 50 1.8. but keep in mind there is no AF in video with these dslrs.

the gh1 can af in video, but the practicality of it is i dont know if it will keep up with skateboarding. most video you will focus before the subject gets in the frame. and for something like skateboarding you will want to invest in a follow-focus system. so then it really doesnt matter if you have AF available or not.

sorry to ramble on. its difficult to answer without really knowing how you shoot and your expectations, but i think at least that is some food for thought.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Well, i think your friend is right, you really need to step up the HD at this point. No one wants 480p anymore.

That means your cheapest entry will be a DSLR.

The D7000 would be your lowest camera that would be worth looking into on the Nikon side.

The cheapest new point of entry would be the Canon t2i, which offers really great HD video and is used by many amateur and commercial videographers. Magic lantern also has firmware hacks to improve follow focus, audio levels, etc etc. However this would require a complete change in systems.

Another option that could work well for you is get a hacked or hackable Panasonic GH1 (so you want something made in 2009) so the 3rd digit in the serial number should be a 9. You can pick them up used (make sure to get with the nice 14-140 kit lens). the problem is, since the gh2 is so hard to find right now, the gh1 prices are pretty high, upwards of 1200$ for the kit that is hackable. the prices may come down as the gh2 becomes more readily available. the gh2 would be perfect, but will cost you 1600 or so and you will be waiting for it.

so short answer, if you need something now, the cheapest point of entry into real hd video would be the T2i, though i am not sure your lens needs, but you could probably do alot with the kit lens and a cheap 50 1.8. but keep in mind there is no AF in video with these dslrs.

the gh1 can af in video, but the practicality of it is i dont know if it will keep up with skateboarding. most video you will focus before the subject gets in the frame. and for something like skateboarding you will want to invest in a follow-focus system. so then it really doesnt matter if you have AF available or not.

sorry to ramble on. its difficult to answer without really knowing how you shoot and your expectations, but i think at least that is some food for thought.
So the d5000 and d31000 aren't worth it? The only good Nikon DSLR for video is the d7000 which is really expensive? So the t2i? I mean I can get t2i bodies for $400 on craigslist. For lenses I'd like the kit 18-55, a cheap 70-300, and a peleng or samyang 8mm fisheye. I could still use my nikon sb24 on my canon? Would I have to sell all my nikon stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjAiQWz_jRY

There is a video I made with my current video camera, I am really tired of this quality.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the d3100 and d5000 are not really good at all for any serious video. lack of controls and lack of output options, mono sound, etc.

you could not use the sb24 or really any other of your nikon stuff on the Canon gear. so if you do go with the t2i, you may as well just sell off all of the nikon stuff to fund it as i see no reason to keep 2 systems.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:25 PM   #5

Quote:
the d3100 and d5000 are not really good at all for any serious video. lack of controls and lack of output options, mono sound, etc.

you could not use the sb24 or really any other of your nikon stuff on the Canon gear. so if you do go with the t2i, you may as well just sell off all of the nikon stuff to fund it as i see no reason to keep 2 systems.
Ok, yes I was going to sell of my nikon gear but I thought I could use my sb24 wirelessly?
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:05 AM   #6

Quote:

Ok, I was thinking again. Is the video on the d90 the same as the d5000? I am really having troubles figuring out what I should do. I want better quality video than 360p (my camcorder quality) and I also want a new SLR. Should I sell my d50 body and video camera and get a d90? Would that be worth it?
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:26 AM   #7

anyone ???
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:08 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Nikon will be announcing their d5100 next week (or so the rumor pages say, but this one seems pretty much a sure bet).

I would wait on that, there is a chance they will add the controls from the d7000 to this body in order to compete with Canon's T2i and T3i.

If this is the case, the d5100 will be the best choice for you. So sit tight and wait on those specs, because i dont think you will be happy with the lack of video controls on the d90/d5000, plus they were known for having terrible rolling shutter.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Nikon will be announcing their d5100 next week (or so the rumor pages say, but this one seems pretty much a sure bet).

I would wait on that, there is a chance they will add the controls from the d7000 to this body in order to compete with Canon's T2i and T3i.

If this is the case, the d5100 will be the best choice for you. So sit tight and wait on those specs, because i dont think you will be happy with the lack of video controls on the d90/d5000, plus they were known for having terrible rolling shutter.
Alright, I don't want to spend $1200 on a body either though as money is sort of an issue for a 17 year old kid.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:40 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
Alright, I don't want to spend $1200 on a body either though as money is sort of an issue for a 17 year old kid.
Cannot say for sure what the starting price will be. But when the model it replaces (d5000) was released it was going body-only in the ~700USD range, so the d5100 should be in that ballpark.