Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Default SD4000, ELPH 300, Or a Panasonic?

I'm looking to replace my broken Canon PS 410. I've been reserching for sometime & I'm just confused. The SD 4000 sounds like it takes quality photos, but does not have a durable body. The ELPH 500 has a metal construction, but hows the photo quality?

I want a compact p&s to take along on family trips. I basicly take photos of my kids, but I do take some scenery & nature photos. My budget is $350 & I'm looking for durability & photo quality .

I've taken 10000+ photos with my 410 before it gave up. I would like to stay with Canon but I've heard Panasonic makes quality cameras.

Which direction should I go?

(I was looking at the ELPH 500 not the 300)

Last edited by dmrapp; Mar 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM.
dmrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:57 PM   #2

The canon 500HS has not been released yet, so we really don't know much about it. The SD4000 is a really good little camera, but has very little (3.8X) zoom. It is a bargain right now and has excellent image quality. I have one.

In the Panasonic Line there is the FH20 and ZR3 both with 8X zoom. However the built-in flash unit is on the weak side.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:41 PM   #3

Thank You Sarah. How is the body construction on the sd4000? I can't find it in my local stores & it seems to be plastic in web pictures. Also how are indoor photos? 65% of the pictures I take are indoor I was leaning towards the sd4000 but not being able to actually see the camera has put my purchase on hold. Thank You so much for you input.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:47 PM   #4

dmrapp-

The body of the SD4000 is of a bakelite plastic which has proved to very durable indeed in actual use. The built-in flash is powerful and has quite a nice reach, as demonstrated by the attached photo.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5

Here's my suggestion considering 3 of your criteria: $350 budget, durability & photo quality... Canon refurbished S95!! Currently $319.

I ordered one a little over a week ago with a 10% online coupon and also got free shipping. I couldn't be happier.

I called in and spoke to rep asking a couple of questions, she was helpful, I thanked her and told her I would order online once I had made my decision. She immediately offered free shipping. I bit; I was even lucky enough to get one with only 37 pictures taken on the life timer.

S95 had a metal body & great image quality. Check it out.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:10 PM   #6

Thank You for the picture. Buying something online & not being able to hold it & examine it scares me! How easy is the it to maneuver the menu? Also does it have a tripod jack? I'm not all that camera savy, but I do know a little about cameras. Why is the Canon S95 so highly recommended?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:43 PM   #7

Because it has a substantially larger imager giving you better image quality and better low light level shooting. .

Sarah Joyce