Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:58 PM   #11

At the end of the day, there is really not much difference between all the small sensor point and shoots. The higher tier has better features, and most of the time a higher grade lens giving them a little bit more resolving power and better IQ. Some have larger aperture lenses at F2 or better, but then you give up zoom. With a travel zoom, you get compact with long reach, but that means you give up low light. But all the travel zooms have pretty decent lenses, that are better then the budget point and shoots. Sony puts in a CZ lens or a G, panny puts in a Lecia and Samsung uses a Schenieder to give their higher tier camera's better IQ.

But given optimal conditions, any of the small sensor can produce and excellent image, up to 400iso. And most of the difference people talk about is at the 800iso with the small sensor, and none really are great, just that the better lens gives them a tad better resolving power, giving the slightly better IQ. Not much has really change in this department with 1/2.23 sensor over the past couple of years. 100-400iso gives good results, above that it is all how the conditions weighs out.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:24 PM   #12

Beware of thinking that having autofocus during video is a good thing. It can be very noisy and difficult to control.

I haven't come across any compact camera that performs adequately at much higher ISO than 200, and certainly not 400. I therefore disregard such performance, and concentrate on the best possible performance in good light. That's why having tried the Canon G11 and G12 I've gone back to their G10, which IMO is matchless in good light. For stills that is - for video it stinks.

In poor light I simply use a DSLR.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:35 PM   #13

S/T

I agree with you 100%. A small imager camera can only appear to excel at low ISO settings, and in very good light.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinacea View Post
Hi everyone
I am a d90 user and looking for a point and shoot camera with good picture and video quality. I decided to get canon s95 for its fast aperture and bigger sensor but i recently find that it has no autofocus in the video mode, I find the panasonic lx5 a little too bulky and dont really like the olympus xz-1. Any other suggestions? Nikon P300 seems promising, but its sensor is smaller and since its a new camera there are no reviews.
Thanks.
P.S. zoom is not important.
I believe I read that there's a firmware update for the S95 so that it will autofocus- check their website support. The Nikon P7000 and Olympus XZ-1 have ext mics if that's important to you.
ewern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:01 AM   #15

I've never used a G10 or a G12, but I've used my G12 a fair amount in low light...or available light as I call it.

I try for 80 ISO to about 160 (think that's the #) or so. I don't use the low light feature, usually I set the camera on aperture priority and set the F stop at F 2.8.

I've also been able to ...over the years...evolve an effective stance for me, when it comes to supporting the camera body, when taking available light pictures. Forty odd years of practice have helped.

Back in the film days, we would 'push' ASA , usually using Tri-X B+W, if my memory hasn't departed me completely.

I've always been interested in available light photography. I used to use my Leica rangefinder a lot in these conditions.

I've been generally happy with the G 12's available light performance. But the key, for me, is....aperture priority, don't use the low light feature, F 2.8, keep ISO between 80 to about 160 and use your body to get the best possible support, when you actuate the shutter.

Yes I can get better sharpness with my DSLR's....but bigger sensors and in this case I'm generally using my fast..... 50 mm F 1.4 .

But for a small camera, I find the G12 has an excellent array of manually controllable features. It's a lot of fun and I can really stretch my photographic skills with this little job.

That perhaps is the greatest appeal (to me) of photography...is overcoming photographic challenges.

As with any tool, the G12 has it's limitations, but all in all...it's a great little instrument.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:44 AM   #16

Thank you all for your replies. G12 is a nice camera but its too bulky. All I want is a everyday, all around camera. So actually low light performance is not that important. What I was trying to say is that, if I am getting a camera, i really want a good one.
The thing about ISO is, even with my dSLR, i really does not pass 400ISO because I always want the cleanest results. On the other hand, a good high iso performance camera also can shoot nice low iso but long exposure shots which is something i want.
I have checked the test video shots of recent popular cameras and they all looks promising with autofocus, but of course zoom is noisy.
I am considering hx7v, tx100v of sony, ts3 and zs10 of panasonic, 500hs and 300hs of canon.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:47 AM   #17

they are all pretty good pns for a all around camera. Very similar. I would try them out at the store, see which one you handle better, and which one's jpeg processing you link the most.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:16 PM   #18

One thing I always consider is the repair record of the various manufacturers. On that ground I wouldn't buy Casio or Sony. Canon's treatment of the customer post-sale is (in the US at any rate) exemplary.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:46 PM   #19

I narrowed it down to canon 300HS (ixus 220hs), panasonic fx78, sony wx10 and nikon p300. Not too narrow though any opinions? extra features not important, only the photo and video quality matters.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:44 PM   #20

canon has the best jpeg engine among the brands you are considering