Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:18 PM   #1

Default compact camera for SLR user.

Hi everyone
I am a d90 user and looking for a point and shoot camera with good picture and video quality. I decided to get canon s95 for its fast aperture and bigger sensor but i recently find that it has no autofocus in the video mode, I find the panasonic lx5 a little too bulky and dont really like the olympus xz-1. Any other suggestions? Nikon P300 seems promising, but its sensor is smaller and since its a new camera there are no reviews.
Thanks.
P.S. zoom is not important.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

really for the larger sensors, you have already looked into the viable options.

so its a give or take, which is more important to you, the zoom in video of the lx3 or the smaller size of the s95.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:03 PM   #3

well I already ruled out those three for the reasons I mentioned, and wondering whether there are any other promising pocketable cameras, possibly with smaller sensor but offering a better output than its rivals?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the panasonic zs7 gives good video results and performs well in still with good light, gives 720p with avchd compression.

the sony hx5 is even better video at 1080p with avchd. and overall decent image quality, though its not the fastest camera around.

sony just announced their wx10 which is suppose to be much faster in operation and again gives you full 1080p with compression, but it is yet to be relased and we will see how the 16mp it crams in that tiny sensor works out.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:29 PM   #5

I just picked up a Nikon S6000 as a partner camera for my DSLR, after sorting through the same group you have done. B&H has it on sale for less than $100. It has 7X (28 to 199mm) zoom and does 720p video.

I have a thread on it in the Nikon P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

sorry but the S6000 is really not in the same class as the others. it is an entry level p&s, with no control over video, nor zoom on video. its image quality is consistent with others in its price class, but as one may expect, below that of the higher tier p&s.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:59 PM   #7

Dustin-

It is hard to beat at $99.95 (B&H) Take a look.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:35 PM   #8

If i can't get a decent open aperture, or relatively larger sensor camera, then I definetely want something like sony hx7v, with zoom and full hd video. but I have my concerns about its quality because of its small but 16mp sensor and long zoom lens. What do you think about nikon p300 or canon 300HS (ixus 220hs)
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:36 PM   #9

crop and exif data please. In good lighting it is easy for any point and shoot to take a good photo. I have even been able to get good shots with a dying point and shoot at night as there was enough ambient light to let is shoot at 200iso. So it really depends on the conditions if a 99 dollar camera can keep up with something like a s95. But most of the time it can not in low light.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:28 PM   #10

I wanted the same thing..a smaller camera that I could use as a daily cary around.

I have a Pentax K10D and KM (K2000 in the states) ...both dslr's and the photos are great...but they're bulky.

Years ago in the film days, I had Pentax slr's and a Mamiya Medium Format system, which were great but too big to carry around.

First I bought a small Olympus P+S film which was good, but I wanted more....so I started carrying around my old Leica Rangefinder, with it's collapsible Leitz Elmar, lens. It's a bit on the heavy side, but as robustly built as a Russian tank.

It's picture taking capability easily matched any SLR.

Now in the digital age, a few months ago, I bought a Canon G 12.

It's a great camera. No....if I blow up the pictures to...say 11 X 14....it's not going to match a DSLR. But I don't expect it to do so.

I believe the sensor is a bit larger than a typical P+S, but of course smaller than say a ASP-C, DSLR.

The outside controls are similar to my DSLR's which is great for me, as I like to set up the meter, WB, shutter, Aperture....etc. I can set the F stop from F 2.8 to F 8.....the zoom...wide angle to moderate telephoto is an F 2.8.

The pictures are quite good, IMO. Much better than my older P+S Panasonic DMC 8 (I think) Lumix .

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the G12 is designed for pro's and advanced amateurs who want to carry a physically smaller camera for particular applications.

It also has a hot shoe, so I can attach a 'real' flash. I bought a Canon 430 EX to go along with it. It's a bit heavy for the G12, but so far no problems and IMO, it enhances the G12's already very good picture taking capability.

But the G12 and the 430 flash are not inexpensive.

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote