Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Looking for a camera that takes stills while shooting video

I would Like to find a camera with these features and need help.

Must Haves...
Not bulky pocketable. If it's a little larger thats OK.
Super zoom 10x or more
CMOS sensor
I would like something that works great in low light. I have been reading of some cameras that take a couple of pics and puts them together to get an excellent night shot.
Fast shooting performance.
HD video (720P or above) with the ability to zoom while recording.
and I would like something that will let me shoot stills while shooting video.

Would like (but not necessary)...
Sweep panorama
HDR mode
GPS

I currently have a canon A720 is and it has been good for both pics and video. We are taking our kids to their first trip to Disney world and would like to get a better camera. Please help.

Thanks.
Dsherman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Sony HX5 or wait on the WX10 would be a good place to start looking.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3

I too have been looking to update my compact Canon (I have a DSLR for geting large prints) and want it to have all the latest features so I won't have to buy another for several years. I've looked at all the recently announced models from Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, and Canon, but the Olympus ZX-30MR coming out in April really intrigues me.

No other compact camera captures HD movies and 16MP still images at the same time! Also they say you can shoot simultaneous wide-angle and telephoto movies, and full 1080p HD video and VGA movie files. RADICAL!
It also has other latest technology like SMART PANORAMA, 3D stills, continuous auto tracking with brightness correction- even pet face detection.
I would have to trade-off the larger sensor in the XZ-1, but do gain a larger zoom- 25-600 (F3-6.9).
ewern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:31 PM   #4

Thanks, I was looking at that one. Can't find any reviews. I was looking at that and the Sony HX9V. My only concern on the Olympus is how fast it is (the part where you hit the button to when the picture snaps). And battery life. I would get an extra battery anyway. I am hoping reviews will be up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewern View Post
I too have been looking to update my compact Canon (I have a DSLR for geting large prints) and want it to have all the latest features so I won't have to buy another for several years. I've looked at all the recently announced models from Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, and Canon, but the Olympus ZX-30MR coming out in April really intrigues me.

No other compact camera captures HD movies and 16MP still images at the same time! Also they say you can shoot simultaneous wide-angle and telephoto movies, and full 1080p HD video and VGA movie files. RADICAL!
It also has other latest technology like SMART PANORAMA, 3D stills, continuous auto tracking with brightness correction- even pet face detection.
I would have to trade-off the larger sensor in the XZ-1, but do gain a larger zoom- 25-600 (F3-6.9).
Dsherman73 is offline   Reply With Quote