Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:29 AM   #1

Default Need a good camera for indoor sporting events ..

Hi all .. Well this is my first post here so please be gentle ... I'm in the market for buying a camera which I can take with me to WrestleMania in about 10 days, to take some good photos ..

Its going to be an indoor event in Georgia Dome, where I would be taking photos of relatively fast action .. pyrotechnics, fireworks, wrestlers jumping around, crowd movements, action happening ...

I will also be seated in a relatively back in the seating area so I would require a decent zoom too (I think 10x or higher zoom would be good) ...

Additional things which I think I need will be the ability to record 720p HD video at least, and HDR imaging capability ... I imagine HDR would be useful since the crowd area and the central lit-up ring area would be of two different brightness levels ..

My price point is about $350 .. Also, I would prefer to buy something from Amazon because their refund policy is very good .. I can return the camera for a full refund if I don't like it for any reason .. Anything which is eligible for Amazon Prime on Amazon's website fulfills this, even if the seller isn't directly Amazon itself (in this case it would say 'Fulfilled by Amazon' on the product page) ..

Here is an Amazon search which is customized to cater for some of the basic requirements I've mentioned above .. Anything seen within this search is okay by me:

Amazon search link

I personally like to stick with the Sony brand of equipment .. There's no logical reason for this other than I generally just like Sony ... I had narrowed down to DSC-HX5V which meets my criteria above, but still wanted to ask here on which camera is better ... I am completely okay about recommendations from other brands too .. I know some new Sony cameras are supposed to release soon (DSC-HX7V, 9V, etc ..), but they will be releasing after the Wrestlemania, and I need a camera now ..

So, what can you suggest ?
ahmadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:40 AM   #2

I suggest saving your money. Trying to capture pictures and video at such an event is going to be a complete craps shoot. It's really impossible to know the distance / angle you'll be shooting at to know what photos/video would be like even with 10x zoom. You may need more zoom - which means more $$$. Even then, you're going to have white balance issues with the lighting and you'll have issues getting good enough shutter speeds for action without using higher ISOs. I really wouldn't invest money in something new for this event because there is so many potential issues.

My advice is to borrow a camera from a friend/relative
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3

I'm inclined to agree. Using my Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L lens and flash I'm no way guaranteed to get decent shots in those circumstances, and shall we say that lot cost a bit more than $350.

In any case, have you ever tried shooting video at 10x zoom? Not half as easy as you might think, even with a purpose-built camera. John's right - borrow or rent (if that's an option for you) and see for yourself what the problems are.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:41 PM   #4

Unfortunately none of my friends currently possess an SLR grade camera or anything similar .. And I don't mind buying something which is at max about $400 ... Worst come worst, I'll just return it ..

By 10x, I meant the absolutely maximum that I may possibly need .. I would think that I would probably need to stick around 5x zoom when I'm at the event ..

So out of the cameras listed in that search, which 2-3 would you think be best for the job here ? .. I know they are all probably the same given a few minor differences, but still what would be your recommendations ..

I would like to buy the camera ASAP so that I have a god 6-8 to play around with it before the event ..
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:11 PM   #5

I guess I would just like to get photos which are decent ... I'll give an example .. I had a DSC-W290 not too long ago, and I hated shooting pictures with it at nights because it simply messed up .. Too much noise, bad colors, bluriness, and all kinds of other problems ... Then I heard about Sony cameras with the Exmor R chip which somehow lets you take good/decent photos even in low light ...
Now, although having a DSLR with a 100 other variables to tweak may probably give you a significantly even better picture, I don't necessarily need that .. The Exmor R solution would work for me in this scenario, as the result is decent, it works, and is a satisfactory result ... The first thing with the Sony DSC-W290 simply wasn't good enough, and I didn't like that at all ...
The above is an example of what I mean by good or decent .. Its probably not the best, but its not the worst as well ... I just want to take pictures which I can later show to friends without them saying ... "Oh, thats a seriously crappy photo" ... I just want something decent, not something which may be considered as magazine-printable material, or something which is to be expected from a professional photographer ..
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:53 AM   #6

So I got the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 yesterday .. Can somebody give me some links to tutorials/videos on how to take good photos with it for my case (distant moving targets in probably relatively low light) .. ? Like which mode is suitable for what and what parameters will I need to play around with, etc .. ? I don't know about things like shutter priority or aperture priorirty and stuff ..

But dont worry, I plan to fully utilize the 5 or so days I have before the event to teach myself as much as possible ..