Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:41 PM   #1

Default Fuji F70EXR/F80EXR, NikonS8000 ...

Hello!
I am looking for a new, small (has to fit into a jeans pocket) super zoom camera. I know, not an easy thing to find.

But I spend a lot of time reading many many reviews and now narrowed it down to a selection of some cameras, on which I hope to get help here which to chose

Ok, how to start. I need the camera to fit into my pocket, because I want to take it to concerts (pictures and filming). I know, really hard for any camera expect a DSR.
I own a Kodak Z950, which I used during concerts and I even got some nice pictures from it. BUT I'm going to a big concert in summer and there it might be a problem, because cameras of this size might not be allowed.
PLUS the video mode is not very good on my Kodak.

First I thought about getting the new Panasonic TZ22. But the reviews weren’t very good compared to the TZ10. I know the Panasonic TZ10 is prob the best to get, but is quite the same size my Kodak has, so I also could get a problem then.

So right now I’m thinking about the Fuji F80EXR. My question concerning this camera is: does it need the same adjustments the F70EXR needs? And If yes, do I have to set it each time I take a picture or is it saved? I read in Steve’s review, that the F70EXR has better pictures. But is the difference so big? I also want to make videos and the F80 is better there. I found a concert being filmed with the F80 on Youtube and the quality was quite good.
OR is the Nikon S8000 a even better choice? I know it doesn’t have a lot of manual controls, but you can’t really use them during a concert anyway…
I also looked at the Canon S2xx series, Casio EX FH100and Sony HX5 but I thought that the F80 might be the best camera for my needs.

Sorry for so many words
But what would you say, is the F80 the right choice?
Thx!

Last edited by Anny1; Mar 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM.
Anny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:46 PM   #2

Anny-

From your group of cameras I personally would choose the Fuji F70 EXR. The EXR system is not difficult to work with and for example in your typical concert type shooting environment, only need to be set up once for the whole evening.

The video quality on the F-70 and F-80 are very similar. The F-70 has better low light level performance than the F-80

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:42 AM   #3

Hi Sarah!

Thank you for you fast reply!

Does the F70 also save settings if it's turned off, or when switched to video mode? Do you know if the video mode can also cope with the bass during a concert? I thougt the F70 has mono audio and the F80 has stereo. But you think that won't make a difference?

Anny
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Anny-

The F70 does have mono audio. If you really want quality images and audio, you should be looking at something like the Olympus EPL1 or a good camcorder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:10 PM   #5

Hi Sarah

unfortunately I know I can't expect it to film like a camcorder. But it won't be allowed to take a camcorder or a camera like the Olympus EPL1 to a concert.
The thing is, I know the Panasonic Cams (Tz8 or 10) do record the sound quite good. I'd buy one of those if I'd be sure they let me take it in, but there is the size problem again

Do you think the F70/F80's sound recording is similar to the Panasonic? Or is there a big difference between the F70 and F80 because the F80 has stereo?

Anny
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:14 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The video mode on the f70/f80 is pretty terrible, and worse is the sound. if video is any concern, i would not go this route. I have the f70, its mono and picks up any other sound other than what you want first.

the tz10 has stereo audio and does a pretty good job. as for video, its always a solid choice. the tz8 is mono audio, don't get this one.

Last edited by Hards80; Mar 27, 2011 at 1:17 PM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

another option may by the hx7v from sony, seems pretty small, has full 1080p video with avchd and stereo audio.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:18 PM   #8

Hi Hards80!

Thank you for your reply!

I looked at the HX7V, it has 50fps. That's really nice. But I went to Amazon and the HX5V is about 100 Euros cheaper, that is quite a lot... it has only 30fps, but it seems it also has stereo and HD? Do you think the HX7V is so much better that 100 Euro would be worth it?

Ok, and I'm still thinking about the TZ0... from what I could find out it is 8mm bigger then the HX...and 3mm thinner than my Kodak but in gereral a bit smaller. And it has 12x zoom...this is really difficult ^^

Do you know which image quality is better in low light?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:30 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the hx5 would be a good option as well, it has stereo audio as well as nice full hd in avchd compression.

the hx5 and the tz-series are direct rivals in many respects. you will find a similar experience using either cam. the panny is quicker in operation and has a better menu layout, but the sony does slightly better in low light. but the differences are small. if you had a chance to try them both out and see which you feel most comfortable shooting, that would go along way to deciding which is best for you.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:49 PM   #10

That sounds good...since the Sony is a lot smaller, that's a point for Sony and if the image quality is even better, perfect

I'm going to search the internet for some more reviews or a comparison on both of this cameras and then i'm going to our local store tomorrow! I hope to find both of them and it'll help to make a decision. I'll report here