Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:34 AM   #1

Default Want to start shooting film.

Ok, I have decided to just keep my nikon d50 because everyone is telling me not to switch to canon and when I calculated it all up it's going to cost tons of money in the long run.

I am just going to sell my video camera and get a better video camera. What I have been thinking about for a long time now is buying a 35mm film camera and start shooting that on occasions. The images they produce are very nice in my opinion.

Seeing as I am a photographer (obviously) I would look to explore all of it and not just limit myself to digital. I am just wondering, what is a good "NIKON" film camera? Cheap but good. I hear the old Nikon FE is good? I would like to buy an old 50mm for it also. That is probably the only lens I want for it for now.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

if you want to go full manual focus etc. then there are several choices in that "F" series from nikon. FM/FM2, FE/FE2, FA. Any of these would be a good choice.

If you want autofocus, something like the Nikon 8008s can be had for cheap these days.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you want to go full manual focus etc. then there are several choices in that "F" series from nikon. FM/FM2, FE/FE2, FA. Any of these would be a good choice.

If you want autofocus, something like the Nikon 8008s can be had for cheap these days.
Well I am thinking manual focus would be even more old school but since it's film they could turn out really bad.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 29, 2011, 5:22 PM   #4

Ok well I found a seller of a Nikon FM with a sigma 28mm f2.8 AI lens. He said he wanted 50 and I bargained him down to 30. Is that a good deal do you think?
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:32 AM   #5
Super Moderator

How bad can it be? As long as the camera works!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
How bad can it be? As long as the camera works!
After I went to the store to see film prices I had 2nd thoughts. I mean every 24 photos I have to spend $6? That's a rip off. I might hold off on film for a while.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:07 PM   #7

you did not even consider the price of development and prints. It adds up fast now adays.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
Ok, I have decided to just keep my nikon d50 because everyone is telling me not to switch to canon and when I calculated it all up it's going to cost tons of money in the long run.

I am just going to sell my video camera and get a better video camera. What I have been thinking about for a long time now is buying a 35mm film camera and start shooting that on occasions. The images they produce are very nice in my opinion.

Seeing as I am a photographer (obviously) I would look to explore all of it and not just limit myself to digital. I am just wondering, what is a good "NIKON" film camera? Cheap but good. I hear the old Nikon FE is good? I would like to buy an old 50mm for it also. That is probably the only lens I want for it for now.
I have a Nikon D300 and also own a Nikon F90 so I can use the same lenses on my DSLR as SLR. I also own a Canon AE1 with 50mm and 28mm lens and an Olympus OM10 with 28mm and 50mm lenses.

The price of film to purchase these days is very cheap or at least here in the UK, the developing side is another matter. I don't have time or patience to develop my own negatives but I found a company that's reasonably priced just to get the negatives scanned. I then use an Epson 4490 to scan my negatives onto my pc.

I think probably my digital captures are better but there is a uniqueness about film that is just lovely especially in black and white. For colour film I quite like the new Kodak Ektar and for black and white depends on my mood will be either Fuji, Ilfrod or Kodak.

Here are a couple of scans using film and one fun thing about film as Forest Gump would say, "it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"

Hope this helps,

Howie

Kodak Ectar asa 100 film
Name:  019.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  95.3 KB

Fuji Profia asa 100 slide film
Name:  013.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  145.2 KB

Kodak asa 400 film I think
Name:  030.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  117.7 KB

Fuji Neopan Acros iso 100 film
Name:  031.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  79.9 KB

Kodak asa 400 film I think
Name:  032.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  65.2 KB
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
you did not even consider the price of development and prints. It adds up fast now adays.
Tell me about it! My daughter is a photography/art major at Belmont and I just bought her a new (used) Mamiya C330 Professional S, TLR, medium format camera. They haven't made this camera in almost 30 years, but it is still in high demand. I was stunned at the cost of the film alone. Something like $7-$10 for 10 exposures. When you couple that with color & black/white film, plus the different film speeds, WOW. I forgot how much all that stuff costs. Thankfully she has access to a professional photo lab at school, so she just has to pay for chemicals that she uses, but still, film at any level can be a very expensive hobby. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:05 PM   #10

Go try some film. You would stop shooting 500 photos per outing even on your dslr and think more about what you are shooting. The feel is different. I love my Z981 but film on manual is so much better (helps to put in practice what I am reading on photography).

Both shot on expired films (Sensia 100 & Portra BW400CN).
Attached Images