Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:40 PM   #1

Default New camera pocket - Fuji F10 to ?? Canon SD4000, Canon 300 HS, Canon S95

My wife and I currently use a Fuji F10 as a compact pocket camera when we don't want have our DSLR with us. We also use the F10 to shoot short video clips when we don't have our camcorder with us (which is we rarely take with us - DSLR does not have video capability). We actually use the video capability more than the still.

We were thinking we could improve the quality of the pictures/videos by upgrading. We would also be able to give our F10 to our nearly 10 year old son as he enjoys taking pictures.

First question... will we see much of a picture/video quality upgrade over the Fuji F10 with the current crop of compact cameras?

Second question... which would you recommend between the Canon SD4000, 300 HS, and S95? I am open to other recommendations (I actually have not owned a Canon - we have a Nikon DSLR). S95 seems like the top choice for still pictures but would be a compromise on video. I am also concerned about the size of the S95 relative to the SD4000 or 300 HS. From other threads, I have seen I can pick zoom or low light performance. If I were to pick, I would pick the low light performance as the priority of the two.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
fivehokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:09 PM   #2

I should have mentioned that my wife uses the compact camera much more than I do as I don't mind carrying the DSLR. She is not one to use the manual modes of the S95, but I would. Long story short... the manual options of the S95 are nice but not a necessity. Actually better automatic performance or scene mode performance would be more valuable in our situation.

Thanks.
Steve
fivehokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:38 PM   #3

The Canon HS500 or the SD4000 (the economy choice)HS 500 review are better than in the S95 in the auto mode. Steve just completed a HS 500 review. You might want to take a look at that.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote