Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:58 PM   #21

Also having travel allot, I know sony market penetration in the southern hemisphere is tiny. All the sony's mid level dslr are in the Northern hemisphere. And being in the tropical month this winter, I can tell you it was not particularly hot. Unless you are down in the equator. And there are reports coming out for areas like singapore and jakarta that there is some heat issues, not as bad as the slt, but still a issue.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Better the glass better the image. The glass means more then the body when considering image quality. The ef-s 15-85 Hards recommended is most likely the best walk around lens for the 60D, the sigma or tamron does not match it's image quality.

There are lenses with a constant 2.8 aperture, but they get expensive. And the cheaper 3rd party ones either is not as good with IS, or you need to give up is to get better results, and a short focal range. 17-50 vs 15-85.
Not to get argumentative here , but the Sigma 24-70mm HSM provides excellent image quality is is a MUCH better built lens than the ef-s 15-85, and I would say the image quality on the Sigma far superior, auto focus is dramatically faster and low light capabilities are outstanding, which I have found indispensable on any number of occasions when using a flash just wasn't convenient or acceptable, especially when traveling. The bottom line is that there are a lot of good choices out there and it the third party higher quality, pro lenses like the high end Tamrons & Sigmas provide excellent value and excellent results.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:40 PM   #23

No IS, as the IS version is not as good. Sig also produce a different color vs the canon glass. But the canon is super sharp, almost L level sharpness. the 24-70 is shorter and tighter. Especially on aps-c. 24mm is not very wide on a crop body, can be a issue if you are shooting vista and big view landscape stuff. So there are draw backs to the sig, and that the canon will do better on APS-c. The canon 15-85 is the much better option on a 60d as a walk around lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:51 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
Not to get argumentative here , but the Sigma 24-70mm HSM provides excellent image quality is is a MUCH better built lens than the ef-s 15-85, and I would say the image quality on the Sigma far superior, auto focus is dramatically faster and low light capabilities are outstanding, which I have found indispensable on any number of occasions when using a flash just wasn't convenient or acceptable, especially when traveling. The bottom line is that there are a lot of good choices out there and it the third party higher quality, pro lenses like the high end Tamrons & Sigmas provide excellent value and excellent results.
actually you would be wrong then. the 15-85 is sharper than the Sigma, it also autofocus' faster. not that the sigma is not sharp, but that 15-85 and the 17-55 ef-s lenses are sharper. of course they only fit a crop.

the 24-70 has contant aperture 2.8, which makes it a great tool, but its a different tool, and not very wide on a crop body.

comparing apples to oranges here and both are good lenses, but don't make false statements at least. and since you are shooting 1.3x, then you have the right tool for your camera.

Last edited by Hards80; Apr 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:08 PM   #25

To add my opinion (why not, it's free):
1) I agree that 24mm may be too limiting indoors on aps-c. I think the 24-70 is a great option for walk-around PROVIDED you have a second lens that's wider - so it's a nice upgrade if you have a kit lens to do the wide stuff.

2) While the canon lenses might have been faster to focus than the older non-hsm sigma I'm not sure who wins out with the new HSM version. In my experience sigma's hsm is fairly comparable to canon's ring USM (not as fast but close). I don't know if the 15-85 uses the faster ring USM or the slower micro USM motor. So, just wanted to be sure that those saying the canon is faster are saying that based upon the newer HSM version of sigma's lens and not the older non-hsm version. I would indeed be surprised though to see a f5.6 variable aperture lens focus faster than an f2.8 lens with comparable focus motors.

So, just thought I'd interject that thought - don't think it helps anyone overly much but hey, you get what you pay for (remember my opinion is free)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:14 PM   #26

to add a bit of info, the 15-85 does use the canon ring mount usm system. That is why it is so fast.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ns-review.aspx
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:23 PM   #27

Good to know. Again though, I'd be surprised if a variable aperture f5.6 lens outperformed a 2.8 lens in focus speed (assuming non-macro lenses). Especially as light levels get reduced. In other words, the new 70-300 IS USM sounds pretty good. I'd be amazed if it focused faster than the 300mm 2.8. But anything is possible.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:28 PM   #28

In low light the 2.8 will have a big advantage. But outdoor day light walking around, it will not mean much even at 5.6. Time and place for everything. Walk around a super sharp lens at all aperture, vs a lens that is not as sharp at the shear FL, and very tight on the short end needing a 2nd lens. Makes the 15-85 the better walk around lens on aps-c. Go indoors, the 2.8 does have an advantage.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:06 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Good to know. Again though, I'd be surprised if a variable aperture f5.6 lens outperformed a 2.8 lens in focus speed (assuming non-macro lenses). Especially as light levels get reduced. In other words, the new 70-300 IS USM sounds pretty good. I'd be amazed if it focused faster than the 300mm 2.8. But anything is possible.
i know the hsm used in the 24-70 is not quite as fast as canon's ring type usm. the difference is probably not huge, but you do bring up a point with the 2.8, so its prolly a wash in the end.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
My daughter owns both lenses and she consistently gets faster focus performance in all circumstances with the Sigma. She also has experienced extreme barrel distortion on the wide end of the Canon lens which makes the lens almost unusable at wider than 28mm if the subject has any straight lines. Again, maybe she has a less than average version of the lens, I don't know.