Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2011, 5:33 PM   #1

Default Sony A55 or Cannon 60D ? Please help !

Going to Italy for a few weeks in June. Time to retire my Nikon F4. After too much reading I think I am down to a Sony A55 or a Cannon 60D. Which is better for a casual but semi skilled photographer still unfamiliar with a DSLR?
go2shh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:02 AM   #2

Both are going to be fine. You'll get Sony users telling you the Sony is better and Canon users telling you the Canon is better. But given these are upper mid level cameras, your lens selection will likely be the limiting factor in your photography - not a feature one body has over the other. I would suggest trying them both out - the ergonomics will be a bit different on the two.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:44 AM   #3

I looked at the A55 but went with the A580 in the end. It costs about the same but battery life and low light performance are much better.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:28 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the biggest choice here will be whether you prefer a typical optical viewfinder like you are used to with the F4 as found on the Canon 60d, or whether you want the electronic viewfinder found in the Sony slt-a55.

this is something you will not want to make a choice between without actually using them firsthand.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:50 PM   #5

The other question comes down to what do you like to shoot, night stuff, some action, or just landscape.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 3:06 AM   #6

If you haven't done the touchy feely thing yet then i would go and handle both, this may point you in one direction or the other. I think if it feels right then thats a lot reasons to buy
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:01 AM   #7

Default Sony A55 Vs 580 Vs Cannon 60D Reply

Over heating issues with the A55 and A580 ? Image issues with the 60D What is Nikons best fully automatic image stailization camera for someone who is not very good at photography maybe the 7000 ????
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:26 AM   #8

What image issues with the 60D. There is none. The nikon d7000 had a hot pixel issues that the latest firmware. The 60D is the leading camera currently in the lower end prosumer market. Amateur Photography UK name the 60D product of the year already. Allot of people bashed it on specs only, until they actually got out to the public, and has proven to be a serious camera.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:48 AM   #9

Default Ok 60d it is ! Now I can only buy one lens........

What lens and how much from where ? General outdoor some indorr tourist type photography.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I got the 15-85IS for my 60D, it covers a nice focal range and is very sharp. It is not cheap though, about 700$. I am not sure what your budget is, that would help us a little bit.