Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:19 AM   #1

Default after a camera to do sport shots?

after a camera to do sport ie action shots but then good enough for me to make the shots into a collague please help guys
hot rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:31 AM   #2

hi and welcome whats your budget and what type of camera do you have now, it will help
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:52 AM   #3

$1100 ish
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:55 AM   #4

For sports/action/wildlife, Canon probably has the best bodies, especially in your price range, and the best selection of lenses.

What type(s) of sport are you interested in photographing, and what type of access will you have?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:36 AM   #5

football players up close no more than 20 meters away but most will be like 6 meters away
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:53 AM   #6

Hi canon t2i or t3i body plus kit lens and pair it with the efs55- 250is should be ok out doors and indoors ok depending on the light. If you had the money I would look at a 70 -200L, but that inexpensive. You might want to look at a sigma 50-150
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rob View Post
football players up close no more than 20 meters away but most will be like 6 meters away
Are we talking European football (soccer)?
How is it that all your photos will be 6-20 meters away for action shots? Or are you saying you're only that far from the touch line? I'm going to assume that's how far from the field you will be. Are you in stands or field access and ability to move about? What level of play are we talking here? Full size pitch? Always day games or night games under lights too? Outdoor or indoor? Are you a parent of a child? You say you want to be able to make collages - for gifts or for sale (this of course goes toward how high quality they need to be)? To be honest $1100 is not a lot of money, but your answers to the above questions will help us determine whether budget level gear can meet your expectations or not.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:05 AM   #8

yeah soccer
will just be taking photos of players up close not playing in a match but like to get into that as i can get access (night an day matches pitch level). collages i would like to sell so if i have to up my budget has to be done
was thinking 72-200 lenses an fixed 300

thanks for your help guys

Last edited by hot rob; Mar 31, 2011 at 9:46 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rob View Post
yeah soccer
will just be taking photos of players up close not playing in a match but like to get into that as i can get access (night an day matches pitch level). collages i would like to sell so if i have to up my budget has to be done
thanks for your help guys
OK, I think we need some further discussion. "players up close not playing in match" - what do you mean by this? In what capacity? Are you talking about what is referred to in the USA as "team and individual" (T&I) shots where you take a photo of each member of the team posing and then a team picture? In what capacity? Again, as a parent or is it your intent to be the professional photographer? If so there's a lot longer list of questions - there's a lot more to that business than owning a camera.

If, not, what exactly are you talking about. Are you talking about taking photos of players on the sidelines before/during a match?

Now: as to the "but like to get into that as i can get access (night an day matches pitch level)":
Again, in what capacity? Who are the subjects? What level of play? Shooting soccer at night will require a minimum of f2.8 lens. And 200mm is woefully short for a full sized pitch. Especially if you plan on making saleable images. So now you're looking at 300mm or 400mm 2.8. Now you're talking lots and lots of money.

I'm still unclear as to the exact nature of your goals. And the details matter. Doing T&I work is completely different than doing action work. Taking photos of your kids and their friends is completely different than wanting to start a business photographing teams/leagues. There are several of us who have experience shooting football/soccer and a number of us have done it as business. Having more specific information will allow us to provide you better answers but it goes far beyond "what camera do I buy".
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:59 AM   #10

yes at the start would be t&i shots an will be pro teams as i rule i follow one player taking shots not in the studio what will go on to make a collague with them shots. the shots will be taking from in training, the kit room ect not in the match but like to later advance to the matches if i got the kit

would this work http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0640/show.html an then to get another lense

Last edited by hot rob; Mar 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM.