Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:16 PM   #1

Default Trying to help my girlfriend out...

Hi,

First of all English isn't my main language so I'm sorry if you can't understand everything I mean.

In any case, my girlfriend got in her mind that she wants a digital camera. She wants to be able to take photos and video with a pretty good quality so a versatile camera. She has a budget of 300$ (CAN) maximum.

I have done some research and I've found these one:

- SX200
- Canon SD1200
- Canon SD780
- Flip Mino HD (She was really interested with this one, since its pretty cheap but the bummer is that it cannot zoom and the screen is really small).

I know that I am pretty vague in my search, but it's all the information I got from her. If you have idea of what I can ask her, since I have no idea what to look for for a camera, to help you guys out. I would also like to have some suggestions on what she can buy.

Thanks a lot!
Have a good day!
bambambigellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:04 PM   #2

bambam-

You failed to tell us where you live. Oh well. Here in the USA they have been closing out the Nikon S6000 at about $(US) 100.00. So that might be a starting point for you. Perhaps they are closing out that model in you nation as will.

The Nikon S6000 has 12mp, 7X optical zoom (28mm to 196mm) and both still photos and video clips at 720p.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:21 PM   #3

Hi, I am sorry about that, I live in Canada.

I have searched multiple websites in Canada and they are sold at 279.99$. I have read some review, and it seems like it's a pretty good cam. But the video feature turns me off, I dont know if it's me but I have watched multiple videos on youtube and they all seems to be really choppy.

Thanks a lot, I'll search more on this camera and I'll try to see how much would i cost me to get it from the US.

Any other suggestions will be gladly accepted.

Have a good day!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
bambam-

You failed to tell us where you live. Oh well. Here in the USA they have been closing out the Nikon S6000 at about $(US) 100.00. So that might be a starting point for you. Perhaps they are closing out that model in you nation as will.

The Nikon S6000 has 12mp, 7X optical zoom (28mm to 196mm) and both still photos and video clips at 720p.

Sarah Joyce
Hi again.

Do you mind if I ask you what are the website that sell this camera for around 100$, cause I can't find any.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

We are really thorn between these
- Kozak Zi8 for 170$
- Nikon s6000 for 140$
- Canon SD780 for 200$

She mostly want to do video with the camera. So we mainly need a camera that makes good videos, but the nikon s6000 seems to do really good pictures to.

We need your input cause we really don't know what to do. Thanks!

Last edited by bambambigellow; Apr 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:37 AM   #5

bambam-

I think that you would get the greatest usage from the Nikon S6000. The professional reviews on the Kodak Zi8 and the Canon 780 have been only "so-so." In contrast, the Nikon S6000 has received very good reviews. Here in the USA, www.bhphotovideo.com has had the refurbished Nikon S6000 listed for $(US)99.95.

I have attached a photo sample from the Nikon S6000.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

We went to Bestbuy to look at the models they had and she litterally fell in love with the Nikon S6100.

What are the main differences between those 2? The guy at Bestbuy told us that the S6100 was way better at night, there is more Megapixel and it supports 64gb of memory. The thing she really liked, even if I told her that in winter it sucks, the touch screen.

We can get the nikon coolpix s6100 for 200$, if she has the money should we go with the 6100 or still go for the s6000. Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:59 AM   #7

Hi thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

We went at bestbuy and she litterally fell in love with the nikon coolpix s6100. The guy at bestbuy told us that, overall, it was better than the s6000. If she has the 200$, should she go with it, or still get the s600 because the differences are really minors?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:25 PM   #8

I clearly prefer the Nikon S6000 to the newer S6100 with 14mp and a touch screen which does not seem very practical in Canada. And just for the record those "improvements' do not make the S6100 better, at least in my opinion.

Sarah Joyce