Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:15 PM   #11

Hi,

I've a couple of points to add to the benefits of the Olympus E-PL1 or E-PL2 mirrorless cameras. If you are interests lie in landscape and architectural photography, Olympus makes a 9-18mm M43 lens that produces remarkably sharp images. I have the E-PL1 and use the 9-18mm for landscapes and seacapes with great results.

And while Shorturtle is correct that the Sony, with the larger sensor will provide better out of camera jpegs taken in low light. The Oly jpegs at up to ISI2000 clean up very nicely using Photoshop or Adobe's Camera Raw.

I regularly print and sell 13 x 19 landscapes/waterscapes taken with E-PL1 w/9-18mm lens in Art Galleries, here in Cape Cod. I've yet to hear a complaint about image quality.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:05 PM   #12

well I did not say sony will take better photos then the olympus. At 1600iso and down, the oly jpeg engine still produce a nice photos then the sony jpeg engine.

jpeg engine rating currently would be from best to worst. I have shot all of the different brands dslr offering.

olympus
canon
nikon
pentax
sony
panasonic

What I did say was at above 1600iso the sony is much cleaner, especially if we are comparing kit lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:19 AM   #13

I stand corrected

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:46 AM   #14

Nice to hear about using the Oly professionally, will look into the lens options and the 9-18 option since landscape will probably be my main thing next to people in different situations, thanks Zig

So now got some budgeting and thinking to do, feels good to be down to two remaining alternatives though. Oly seems to be my first choice. Thank's a lot for all the advice shoturtle, will get back with pics from trip when on the road if possible.

Kim
kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote