Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:30 PM   #21

From http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...l_macro_is_usm:

Quote:
This is the first lens on the market to incorporate Canon's new Hybrid Image Stabilization Technology. Hybrid IS effectively compensates for both angular and shift camera shake during close-up shooting. (Emphasis mine. - TCav)
"... close-up ...", not 1:1 macro, like we previously agreed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:23 PM   #22

I have a built in dislike of anything Sony because of too many bad experiences with that company. They do make cute toys though and there are many people writing here who are very satisfied with their Sony cameras.

Of the two main manufacturers, Nikon lenses tend to be significantly more expensive than Canon's. I have nothing against Nikon though I don't in fact own one - that could well change. I have friends who swear that their D700s are better than anything offered by Canon, but equally I know people who have sold their Nikon gear to move to Canon.

I don't know enough about the Nikon range to recommend individual models. The new D7000 is undoubtedly the best moderately priced Nikon currently, but "moderately" is a relative term, and it's far from cheap. I believe the D3100 is significantly better than the D3000, but that's only from heresay.

In the Canon range, you'll get pretty good low light performance in the modern Rebel range. I'd look at the T2i/T3i if that's within budget. The t1i is cheaper but for me considerably less desirable. You can get it with a kit lens that isn't bad and comes almost free. If later you want more lenses you're not tied to Canon, and you should consider Tamron and Sigma as well. Similarly with flash - there is a built-in one on cameras at this level, but if you want a separate one there are equally good and much cheaper options to the Nikon and Canon offerings.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:28 PM   #23

thanks for that peter, in the UK i don't think they call them "rebel", can you confirm they the T2i is also known as the Canon EOS 550D.
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:54 PM   #24

Although I'm British I haven't looked at them in the UK. If you look at the Canon USA website you'll see the names most people here use. And yes, the T2i is also called the 550D. - and it is a Digital Rebel, but not the only one.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:05 PM   #25

right thanks for all the info folks, i am liking the 550D from all the reviews i have read, so unless anyone can recommend anything else this is probably the one i will go for.

should i get it with the lens kit or body only and get a lens or 2 separately ? best price i can find is from >amazon< seems like a good deal to me.
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:39 PM   #26

it is a good camera, should serve you well, not much else will give you everything it can do for the price.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:10 PM   #27

I'd always get the kit lens unless it's absolutely awful, and this isn't. A kit lens comes almost free.

Is the T2i/550D continuing now the T3i/600D is out? I would have expected it to be dropped. In which case, I'd wait for prices to drop.