Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:12 AM   #1

Default Canon EOS 5D Mark II vs Nikon D700?

Pros and cons?
Any and all input much appreciated,

Thanks,
Per

Last edited by JimC; Apr 3, 2011 at 7:45 AM. Reason: corrected topic for OP
persandkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:56 AM   #2

What types of photography are you interested in? What is your budget? This will help us help you. It's also worth noting that lenses will play an important role in the end results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Another question (or two), do you currently have any cameras with accessories from either Canon or Nikon and will you want to shoot any video?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:40 AM   #4

As stills cameras the D700 is considerably more advanced than the 5D2 in the important areas of focussing and exposure control. In IQ the 5D2 is better in good light as it has almost double the resolution. In poor light the D700 bests the 5D2. The 5D2 has good HD video - I'm not sure if the D700 has video at all...?

But both cameras are heading for replacement, and I wouldn't buy either right now unless I really needed to. Given how basic your question is, I'd give VERY serious thought to getting a 5DC (used of course). IQ is right up there, though it doesn't have all the gongs and bells offered by later models. At today's prices it's a very attractive option and the smart thing to do. Assuming you don't already have baggage from either manufacturer, of course.

Remember that the camera body is just the start. What that is will dictate what lenses you can get, and that's when you start spending REAL money! Plus flashes, etc.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:28 AM   #5

Default Canon EOS 5 m2 vs Nikon 700

Hi and thanks for all input!
As for budget questions, there is allways a restriction and I understand that to fully unleash the potentials in both cameras, one has to opt for the more expensive lenses either brand.
I have no old lenses (or other equipment), so is not an issue.
I will mainly photograph portraits, and parts of faces (macro photos, documenting eyelids and dermatological conditions).
I realise the need of flash plus maybe an additional ring-flash.

As for new models in this range, what is in the pipeline?

Thanks
Per
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6

No definite information, either about features or release dates. But updates to both cameras are expected within less than a year. The D700 replacement is perhaps already overdue, and judging by what they put in the D7000 a few months ago will be a major upgrade from the D700. Canon are on notice, and have been for some time, to make radical improvements to the 5D2 to bring its autofocus and metering (especially, though there are other aspects as well) up to and surpass the D700. Most people think the upgrades to both cameras will be really major. Although the 5D2 has many qualities and adherents and is a big seller for Canon, a lot of pros have found the D700 to be a far more reliable workhorse and have migrated to it in droves. How significant those lost sales are to Canon is a closely hidden secret, but I would be very surprised if Canon don't go to a lot of trouble to stop and preferably reverse that trend.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by persandkull View Post
I will mainly photograph portraits, and parts of faces (macro photos, documenting eyelids and dermatological conditions)
I would say that of the present range, the 5D2 would be better for you than the D700. The greatly higher resolution really comes into its own for this sort of photograph, and the aspects where the D700 is better than the 5D2 aren't particularly significant.

But again, you'd get superb results with the 5DC, at a small fraction of the cost of either current model. Whereabouts do you live?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:19 PM   #8

Thanks for great info!

I gather theres is allways the problem with a new, re-vamped and gadget increased model around the corner, but with the respective canon and nikon models dicsussed, they both seem to have a couple of years behind them.

Whilst discussing type of photography, I will use the camera mainly in my work but also on my spare time. Family, nature, vacations and what not, are of course likley to show up in the viewfinder.

Thanks
Per
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:29 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I would say that you would be better served for the sort of photography by something in the slightly lower range as you won't be seeing the benefits of the full frame cameras for what you want.

A Canon 60D or Nikon equivalent (I'm a bit out of touch with Nikon at the moment) would be more than enough, even a 550D would be fine. Then you can invest in the lenses that you need to do the job desired.

I will say that it is only the portraits that might be better covered with a full frame body but that depends if you are looking for on location or in an indoor controlled environment (studio), again then you are fine with a crop camera.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:07 PM   #10

I think this is a fascinating question. The Canon 5D Mk. 11 and the Nikon D 700 are both excellent cameras, cameras that many advanced amateurs would love to have.

As mentioned by another poster...both these cameras are scheduled to be replaced....so they are I suppose getting a bit long in the tooth..but I would still want one.

I have Pentax DSLR's (K10D and KM) and a Canon G12. All great cameras and as far as an APS-C cropped sensor DSLR, I'd would still pick Pentax as my go to equipment.

I've been very satisfied and feel that with the exception of low light athletic photography..the K series are wonderful.

Also love my little G12...for a small carry around that I can control and can produce excellent pictures.....I don't think there is much that compares. Low light, ISO 80 to 160 or so, aperture control (I like F 2.8).....the G12 performs for a compact camera..

But having said that I'm a camera junkie. A photography friend has a Canon 5D Mk. 11 and I really like the results he gets from that fine piece of equipment.

I don't have the same depth of knowledge re: Nikon equipment and I'm sure the D 700 is very competitive.

But I think...given the type of photography I do...landscapes, wildlife, flora and fauna, vintage vehicles and the odd portrait...as far as a full frame goes....my choice would be the Canon 5D Mk. 11.

A 5D with an L 17-40mm F 4, would fit nicely in my Kata 3N1 camera bag.

But I would defer to Mark and John...their knowledge exceeds mine and they have the full frame and working pro experience.

Last edited by lesmore49; Apr 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote