Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
You are erroneously blaming Panasonic as a brand when the real issue is the type of sensor that the FZ100 utilizes. You are going to have similar issues with any CMOS-based camera. Secondly, you cannot crop any superzoom at 100% and expect even remotely good image quality. Finally, you make mention of ISO 12800 on the HS20. No current model bridge cam (or even recent model) can provide anything decent above ISO 800 for most prints. Perhaps for 4x6 prints you could go higher.

The FZ40 and SX30 are easily the best current models in their class, though I find the SX30's high CA totally unacceptable.
I'm not blaming Panasonic but simply stating my experience of using the FZ100 has put me off purchasing another Panasonic. I understand blowing images up to 100% and don't expect amazing quality prints but I certainly expected an image with less artifacts and certainly a bit less noise and less mottling effect for a 300+ camera. That's why I also posted the 100% crop from the Sony DSc H20 which shows no such artifacts and mottling effect.

As for prints above iso800 on a bridge camera I'll agree that anything over iso 800 isn't good unless you want an old style grainy/noisy image like asa1600 black and white film captures. However, having an iso 12800 such as on the HS20 is nice to have as it may allow us to capture something that is impossible to capture without that high iso. It's a bit like HD video on a camera, it's not a necessity but really nice to have feature.

Again, please don't think I'm blaming Panasonic as that's not the case it's just my own personal experience of using the FZ100 which has put me off purchasing another Panasonic. I am absolutely sure there are thousands of excellent Panasonic cameras out there where people are over the moon using them and the results they are producing.

Last edited by howiem; Apr 6, 2011 at 4:14 AM.
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
I have the SX30IS. I used to own a Panasonic FZ28, which I liked very much. The SX30 is good in decent lighting. I don't really like to take it up over ISO 200; otherwise there is lots of visible noise. It's not great for action photos. What it is good for is landscape shots (daytime), indoor with flash, and video.
I know you said you had a bad experience with the FZ100. From what I have heard from brother (who owns one) and read from people like Sarah, the FZ40 image quality is slightly better.
Thanks for the advice Robbo much appreciated When I got the FZ100 a lot of people said the image quality was better on the FZ35/Z40 in the Panasonic forum. In hind sight, maybe I would have been better off going for one of those in the first place but there we go.
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:53 AM   #13

If I were you, I would probably go for he Fuji HS20exr. It seems to have decent image quality up through ISO 800. In addition, it had a nice sweep panorama feature and a fast burst mode, and of course the exr modes, which maximize resolution, or low light performance, or dynamic range, albeit at an 8 megapixel resolution.

They were selling the Panasonic FZ35 for between $199 and $215 about a month ago. I would have recommended that then.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
That's why I also posted the 100% crop from the Sony DSc H20 which shows no such artifacts and mottling effect.
Two things are at play here. First, Sony's sensor are less noisy than Panasonics. Second, Sony uses far more NR than Panasonic. You can always crank NR up but you can't recover the detail that gets wiped out by Sony's NR. The best P&S are usually the ones with Sony's sensors and someone else's processing.

Good luck if you choose another CMOS model.