Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:23 PM   #1

Default Super zoom choice

I'm looking at purchasing one of the new super zooms and I've narrowed it down to three possible ones. I currently own a Nikon D300 SLR and a Sony HSC 20 (point n shoot). I did own the Panasonic FZ100 but was not happy with the overall image quality especially on larger images. I will post a couple of examples later of why I sold the Panasonic and why I am now looking to purhcase one of the following three cameras.

Canon SX 30 IS
Nikon P500
Fuji HS20 EXR

The Canon has from all reviews good image quality, good video quality, excellent zoom range and good performance. It suffers from C/A in high contrast shots.

The Nikon P500 from what I've read on what reviews I can find has decent to good image quality, decent video excellent wide angle and exellent range with the zoom. It also suffers crom C/A and although an improvement on image quality on the P100, could be better.

The Fuji HS20 ERX has very good image quality, a 58mm thread to attach filters or even a teleconverter, excellent range iso that can be pushed to 12800. It suffers horribly from what videos I've seen on youtube with the auto focus whilst using the video.

My experience with the Panasonic FZ100 has put me off purchasing another camera such as the FZ35/FZ40 so it's down to one of these three cameras.

If your wondering why I want to purchase a super zoom point and shoot camera when I have a Nikon D300 with various lenses, the sheer weight of my DSLR gear on family days out can be quite tiresome and cumbersom so I'm looking for a good all round point and shoot on these kind of days.

As promised here are two examples of 100% crops with the panasonic FZ100 where I found the image quality to be less than desirable. These were taken in Raw and converted via Panasonics raw converter. The jpg (as I shoot often in jpg/raw) were even were showing more artifacts.

Group photo 100% crop Panasonic FZ100 (Raw converted)

Name:  FZ100 001.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  147.9 KB

Bird photo 100% crop Panasonic FZ 100 (Raw converted)

Name:  FZ100 002.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  114.7 KB

Labrador Sony HSc 20 (Jpg straight out of camera)

Name:  sony100%crop.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  67.1 KB

I'm not saying that Panasonic are bad cameras and I'm sure there are plenty of excellent Panasonic cameras out there that take excellent photographs but from my own experience, it's not for me.

So, any advice good or bad on which of the three cameras I should go ahead and purchase is greatly appreciated

Kind regards,

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:36 PM   #2

G'day Howie

re:- One of your choices - the Canon -
18 months back I got the SX-1 and found it to be a dog of a thing
While the optics were okay between about 3x & 12x zoom, what bugged the daylights out of me was the dual-function rotary 'OK' button/dial on the back

Whenever I needed to alter something [ie: a bit of +/-EV] the rotary dial was needed to move the scale pointer sideways [and it was very imprecise too] ... but the slightest pressure on the rotary dial activated the underlying menu which then took control - and until it had been cancelled, I could not return to finishing whatever I had earlier started

I tried to come to terms with this damn silly arrangement for 3 months then dumped the camera

From recent reviews of similar Canons I believe they are still using the same dual-function rotary dial ~ so for me, I cannot recommend it ... look at it carefully & consider it
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Howie

re:- One of your choices - the Canon -
18 months back I got the SX-1 and found it to be a dog of a thing
While the optics were okay between about 3x & 12x zoom, what bugged the daylights out of me was the dual-function rotary 'OK' button/dial on the back

Whenever I needed to alter something [ie: a bit of +/-EV] the rotary dial was needed to move the scale pointer sideways [and it was very imprecise too] ... but the slightest pressure on the rotary dial activated the underlying menu which then took control - and until it had been cancelled, I could not return to finishing whatever I had earlier started

I tried to come to terms with this damn silly arrangement for 3 months then dumped the camera

From recent reviews of similar Canons I believe they are still using the same dual-function rotary dial ~ so for me, I cannot recommend it ... look at it carefully & consider it
Regards, Phil

Cheers Phil, I'll bear it in mind when I finally decide what I'm going to order. Thanks for taking the time to help me out

Howie
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:19 PM   #4

For Nikon P500 info take a look at Richard Tucker's website. He is also a DSLR user.

http://www.rtfract.com/nikonp500.htm

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
For Nikon P500 info take a look at Richard Tucker's website. He is also a DSLR user.

http://www.rtfract.com/nikonp500.htm

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah for the link, I'll go check out the photo's shortly. I have seen this link on the Nikon compact users group but thanks for taking the time to link it to me

Howie
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:51 PM   #6

I have the SX30IS. I used to own a Panasonic FZ28, which I liked very much. The SX30 is good in decent lighting. I don't really like to take it up over ISO 200; otherwise there is lots of visible noise. It's not great for action photos. What it is good for is landscape shots (daytime), indoor with flash, and video.
I know you said you had a bad experience with the FZ100. From what I have heard from brother (who owns one) and read from people like Sarah, the FZ40 image quality is slightly better.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:30 PM   #7

For what its worth, since no one else seems to want to state the obvious, at least in my opinion, that first picture of the girls,women with guitars, it's clear that you did something wrong either with the camera or the processing. The FZ-100 should simply not give pics that bad in good light.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:14 PM   #8

You are erroneously blaming Panasonic as a brand when the real issue is the type of sensor that the FZ100 utilizes. You are going to have similar issues with any CMOS-based camera. Secondly, you cannot crop any superzoom at 100% and expect even remotely good image quality. Finally, you make mention of ISO 12800 on the HS20. No current model bridge cam (or even recent model) can provide anything decent above ISO 800 for most prints. Perhaps for 4x6 prints you could go higher.

The FZ40 and SX30 are easily the best current models in their class, though I find the SX30's high CA totally unacceptable.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshel View Post
For what its worth, since no one else seems to want to state the obvious, at least in my opinion, that first picture of the girls,women with guitars, it's clear that you did something wrong either with the camera or the processing. The FZ-100 should simply not give pics that bad in good light.

SLK
Well if you call shooting with AV in good daylight on iso 100 and processing through Raw doing 'something wrong' I'll agree with you however I don't think so. I currently own a Nikon D300 and as mentioned I also own the Sony DSC H20 (which just shoots jpg) and I've also owned quite a few point and shoot cameras in my time.

Here are another two examples of why I sold this camera. Maybe I was unlucky and had a bad copy of the FZ100, who knows but unless as stated using AV iso 100 and shooting in good light is doing something wrong. then I don't know what it was that caused it. Unless I've become really bad at post processing over night then I have no explanation. I will also post a similar comparison that I took with my Nikon D300. Now I know my D300 is a DSLR and will have better image quality it's just to show that I always shoot in Raw when I can and I certainly know how to post process my images.

Orriginal image resized for web
Name:  FZ100-002.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  146.4 KB

100% crop again showing artifacts and horrible mottling type effect
Name:  FZ100-003.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  151.2 KB

Orriginal resized for web
Name:  FZ100-004.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  124.9 KB

100% crop again showing lack of detail and artifacts
Name:  FZ100-005.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  114.0 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by howiem; Apr 6, 2011 at 3:02 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:01 AM   #10

And here is the 100% crop from the Nikon D300 image
Name:  nikon002.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  127.4 KB