Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:36 PM   #1

Default Low-light with zoom

Hi all, I'm looking for a compact or bridge camera with at least 12x optical zoom that still takes good photos in low light conditions, such as indoors during a child's music recital. HD recording would be bonus. TIA~~
ttt90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:05 PM   #2

no such camera exist, you either have zoom, or you have low light. There is nothing that combines the 2 in the digicam world.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:25 PM   #3

You might take a good look at m4/3 camera like the Olympus EPL1 which, with an adapter, can use the very compact Olympus 40-150mm lens giving you, in 35mm terms a 90mm to 300mm lens.

The EPL1 mkes a very compact kit and can use ISO settings up to ISO 2000.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:25 AM   #4

I'm going to be taking a look at the Nikon S9100 that I just saw in the Costco e-mailer today. The S8100 that I tried a few months ago was excellent in low light and this one's boasting an 18x optical zoom (25-450mm).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
I'm going to be taking a look at the Nikon S9100 that I just saw in the Costco e-mailer today. The S8100 that I tried a few months ago was excellent in low light and this one's boasting an 18x optical zoom (25-450mm).

Looks nice, I'll have to trek to Costco to check this out.
ttt90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post

Hi Nwtim,

Can you post a few of the lowlight photos you took with the S8100? It would be great to see some samples to help the OP in making a decision. I'm also considering adding another camera to the collection, and I know a few people really like the S8100 lowlight capabilities, but I haven't seen any photos posted yet.

Thanks in advance.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:32 PM   #7

As shoturtle already correctly stated, no such camera exists. Within fixed lens pocket cameras, you can have either zoom or low light. The S8100 does not perform well in low light at all, nor does it even possess the specs (namely sensor size and lens) to even make it possible.

Of course, there are some who will continue to swear that the S8100 is great in low light because Nikon tells them it is. Here's a sample snagged from the web. Even at this small size, and shot at the relatively low ISO setting of ISO 470, the quality is poor. The image is extremely noisy and largely lacking in detail. Compare this to an S95 image shot

Now as a comparison, here is a shot that I took with the S95. Although it was darker out when I this shot when compared to the Nikon shot above, the S95's larger sensor and brighter lens allowed me to shoot at a lower ISO (ISO 200). I realize the S95 shot is at a lower ISO but that's part of the point - a camera with a larger sensor and brighter lens allow you to get the same shot at a lower ISO setting.

Here's an ISO 640 shot with the S95, which is still considerably better than than the S8100 shot at ISO 470.

... and at ISO 800, the S95 still looks better than the S8100 does at ISO 470.

... and finally at ISO 1600, the S95 image begins to look like the S8100 at ISO 470 in terms of noise, though it still manages to retain noticeably more detail.

Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:57 PM   #8

Well done, Five-0-

That is an excellent comparison of what a large imager camera can do in comparison to a small imager camera. It is when the lighting is good that the differences become rather small: see the attached photo.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote