Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:15 PM   #1

Default 10 days to make a buying decision. Help!

Hi all and thank you in advance for your help. Before I tell what cameras I am looking at buying, let me tell you a little about myself, because this will help you better advise me on what I should buy.

First off, I love taking good pictures. Check out my website to see what I mean. It is my forum name with .net at the end.

Having said that, I do not consider myself to be a photography nut. Photography for me is sort of a sub-hobby. It is what I do while doing something else. I have had a few digicams and most have been fun. My first was a Sony CD500. Then I bought a Sony DSC-V1. Now that was a camera! I really wish Sony would have worked on improving it. If they had, I would not be here asking the question I am about to ask. The V1 was a huge step up from the CD500, but at only 5 megapixels, it just did not cut it for what I wanted, even though I took some good pictures with it. After reading a raving review in a magazine, I replaced my V1 with a Canon SD1100IS. At first I was impressed with the white balance and speed of it compared to the V1. But the first time I found myself in a situation that required manual adjustment to take the picture, that is when I realized the step down I had taken when I switched from a bridge camera to a P&S. My brother has many thousands of dollars invested in Canon SLRs and is always telling me to go the slr route. But unlike him, I don't have a lot of money. And besides that, I don't go places for the purpose of taking pictures, so I don't want to commit to carrying 30lb of equipment. But at the same time I like taking pictures that people will enjoy looking at and do want enough quality in my shots that they will look good on the internet. I also want to be able to take watchable video without having to carry a separate camera for that purpose alone.

So there you have it. After a year of research I have narrowed my camera buying choices down to four cameras. Here they are;

Fujifilm HS20 $500

Sony HX100V $450

Canon Rebel T3 (with 18-55mm & 75=300mm Lenses) $767

Pentax K-r (with 18-55mm & 55-300mm) $659

I know that lens quality plays a big part in the end quality of slr pictures so here are the links to the slr kits above.

Pentax: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...=PKKXKT255300K

Canon: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3...1953864&sr=8-1

57-300mm lens: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm...1954738&sr=1-1

I am leaning towards the HS20 at this point because it seems to give me the best quality, flexibility and versatility in an all in one package. I know that the quality will not be SLR, but I am hoping it will be better then a P&S. What do you all think? Thanks again.
jungleexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well if you don't think you will bring an slr and lenses with you, then it doesnt do you any good. the best camera is the one you have with you.

i will say for the canon kit. you DO NOT want the 75-300. if you do a 2 lens kit with the t3, get the 55-250IS, its a much better lens

head on over to the Fujifilm forum, where you will find many examples from our members with their new HS20's to see what you think.

of course it will not equal the quality of the canon or pentax slr kits, the laws of physics and sensor sizes give the slr kits big advantages in low light/high iso situations and more dof control, etc.

but you can see there what the hs20 can do for computer size photos.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:22 PM   #3

My choice would be the Panasonic FZ40. It will handle your needs nicely.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well if you don't think you will bring an slr and lenses with you, then it doesnt do you any good. the best camera is the one you have with you.

i will say for the canon kit. you DO NOT want the 75-300. if you do a 2 lens kit with the t3, get the 55-250IS, its a much better lens

head on over to the Fujifilm forum, where you will find many examples from our members with their new HS20's to see what you think.

of course it will not equal the quality of the canon or pentax slr kits, the laws of physics and sensor sizes give the slr kits big advantages in low light/high iso situations and more dof control, etc.

but you can see there what the hs20 can do for computer size photos.
Well, I looked over at the fujifilm forum as you suggested. The HS20 takes some pretty nice pictures in the right hands. But after watching several videos made with it on youtube, I have serious doubts. The videos I watched were awful. The camera cannot stay in focus if there is any movement at all. Let me say this just to get it out of the way so we can discuss this point. "This is a stills camera. If you want good video good, buy a video camera." I said that for all of who were just waiting to say it. Now that it is said, let's move on. The fact is there are several P&S and bridge cameras that take decent video. I have even heard that they are now filming a Hollywood film with a canon slr. So the great divide that used to stand between the still camera and the video camera is almost gone. Also, one of the main marketing points of the HS20 is it's video capabilities, so there is no excuse for releasing a product that performs so poorly. But this is not what I am here discuss.

What I am here to discuss is whether or not the hs20 is the best camera for my needs. Now I don't shoot a lot of video. I own two video cameras and I shoot so little video that they are never with me when that moment occurs that I need a video camera. But my canon SD1100IS is alway with me and guess what I have taken 99% of the video I have taken in the past two years with? The camera that was with me.

Now that we see that the HS20 has problem with video, my question is this. Do you think it is a hardware problem or a firmware problem? From you experience, will fujifilm address this issue with a firmware update? My other question is this. If a decided not to go with the HS20, what other ultrazoom cameras are in the HS20 class? Do you think the HX100V will be as good at stills as the HS20?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleexplorer View Post
Well, I looked over at the fujifilm forum as you suggested. The HS20 takes some pretty nice pictures in the right hands. But after watching several videos made with it on youtube, I have serious doubts. The videos I watched were awful. The camera cannot stay in focus if there is any movement at all. Let me say this just to get it out of the way so we can discuss this point. "This is a stills camera. If you want good video good, buy a video camera." I said that for all of who were just waiting to say it. Now that it is said, let's move on. The fact is there are several P&S and bridge cameras that take decent video. I have even heard that they are now filming a Hollywood film with a canon slr. So the great divide that used to stand between the still camera and the video camera is almost gone. Also, one of the main marketing points of the HS20 is it's video capabilities, so there is no excuse for releasing a product that performs so poorly. But this is not what I am here discuss.

What I am here to discuss is whether or not the hs20 is the best camera for my needs. Now I don't shoot a lot of video. I own two video cameras and I shoot so little video that they are never with me when that moment occurs that I need a video camera. But my canon SD1100IS is alway with me and guess what I have taken 99% of the video I have taken in the past two years with? The camera that was with me.

Now that we see that the HS20 has problem with video, my question is this. Do you think it is a hardware problem or a firmware problem? From you experience, will fujifilm address this issue with a firmware update? My other question is this. If a decided not to go with the HS20, what other ultrazoom cameras are in the HS20 class? Do you think the HX100V will be as good at stills as the HS20?
I don't think Fuji will probably address the video issue or from what I've been looking at on previous models anyways. If you want video then I think the HX100V would be a better option out of the two cameras as the videos I've seen with the HX100V have better auto focusing when zooming. For image quality the DSLR will be better but for versatility there are plenty of options including the HS20, HX100V, FZ40 etc. Good luck with your choice
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:14 PM   #6

Amazon just shipped my HS20 early then they had told me, so now I guess I am committed. I will test the video and report back to you.