Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Default 1Ds Mk II or 1D Mk III

Hi, Firstly this will be my first FF camera, second I shoot mostly land/seascape, 3rd I cannot afford a new FF camera so I am looking at the 1Ds Mk II or 1D Mk III. Trying to write this from memory but I believe the 1Ds Mk II is 16/17 Mega Pix and the 1D Mk III is 10 Mega pix, as I will not be blowing photos up to use as posters I don't think the MP's will matter that much but I cannot make up my mind what to go for. Any thoughts please for or against either camera.
Thanks
Russ.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well, first off, the 1D MK III is not a FF camera it uses the aps-h sensor which is a 1.3x crop factor. it was mainly a sports/action camera (of course its good for other things as well) but its not a FF.

the 1DS MkII is a FF camera and would be a good choice for lands/seascapes. I would also add the Canon 5D to your list. it is your most affordable entry into the realm of FF and even though it is getting older now, the image quality of the 5D can really hold its own. The biggest limitation of this camera compared to modern cams is its relatively compact ISO range and slower AF. However, these limitations would not be a major factor for land and seascapes.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:44 PM   #3

Many thanks for the reply I had considered the 5D but as I am unable to get to see one in the flesh (so to speak) in photographs it does not look as well built as the !ds Mk II as for the 1D Mk III i will give that a bye I think and make it 1Ds III or the 5D.
Thanks Again
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote