Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:13 PM   #11

yeah i've emailed a mob who are selling the batteries and chargers... wasabi. they get good reports. Out of stock atm but i'm happy to wait, i've emailed them re stock.

seems memory cards are cheap enough here so i don't have to worry about it too much...

as long as the dchc card is class 10 is there anything else i have to watch out for... are cheaper brands ok?
sleeprequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:21 PM   #12

FiveO.... got any more shots that might convince me? I really like the oly colours and the depth of field of the oly ... but.... the canon does have it's upside..
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:06 PM   #13

I have been using and having good luck with a Transcend class 10 SDHC card lately which is rather cheap but really gets the job done. I know several of our members including Jim C have used transcend cards (wither SD or CF) for years and find them reliable. When I had my Fuji S9100 I used a 4GB and an 8GB 133x Transcend brand CF cards in them and both cards worked well for me. I also used a 16GB transcend card in a D-SLR that I borrowed when I shoot a wedding in 2009 and the card worked well under constant shooting for me over the course of 6 hours. If you live in the US check newegg.com for some of the best memory card prices out there.

If I was going to China for a week I'd make sure I had 2x 16GB cards which would give me roughly 6,600 images with my camera or a device (a laptop with free hard drive space or a wolverine type hard disc memory card storage device) that I could off load images to while away........ I made a trip a few years back to Baltimore MD and didn't have enough memory cards with me, I thought 1GB was gonna be plently having 2x 512MB cards and ended up almost killing myself when I had to buy one at a local best buy and pay through the roof for another 512MB xD card. So I learned my lesson to carry double the battery and memory you think you'll use when you travel away from home for the week.

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Apr 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:14 PM   #14

Yeah I hear you... I'm thinking 4 batteries and 4 x 8 or 16 gb. Any more than that and I'll forget to enjoy my trip. Fine balance between the memories and the moment.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
thanks for your help... from what i've read, when using the xz-1 you want to try and avoid high iso's and take full advantage of the brightness of it...

4-800 the canon will outperform it i think.... i'll have a look at some dusk photos online and see what the iso is in lower light... i won't be shooting in really low light but indoors and dusk/dawn are definates
Well, you will be forced to shoot above ISO 400 more often than you think. Without the flash, you'll be using ISO 400 or above indoors and at dusk for sure in many cases.

As for memory cards, there's no need for a class 10. Actually, a Class 4 should do fine but you might as well get a Class 6 as some cameras won't run a Class 4 anymore. No P&S needs faster than a Class 6.