Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:18 AM   #1

Default A happy compact compromise?...

Ok so I need a new compact zoom that will be suitable for a trip to China in October and Africa the year after...

From the research I have done I really like two different kinds of cameras and i think i'll have to compromise between the two.

I really want a compact zoom like the Canon sx230 HS or the Nikon S9100 but when i look at the photos and compare them to something like the oly xz-1 or canon s95 i just can't do it...

so i think i've found a happy compromise in the TZ10/ZS7... Have a look at these sample shots.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/.....ss-camera.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/.....ss-camera.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/.....sharpness.html

So this camera is 12x zoom which should keep the cats in africa happy, and seems to produce nice enough macros and scene shots to keep china happy.

The problem is video and since the TZ10/ZS7 is a year old nearly, does anyone know if there is a new model coming out that will improve it's video performance?. 1080p would be nice along with newer tech as well..

i've looked at the tz20 but it hasn't reviewed well and is really more in the superzoom category in which there are better cameras

Other suggestions are welcome too...
sleeprequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:39 AM   #2

I have a ZS7 and am satisfied with it. It takes nice stills, usable only to ISO 400 though, and thus not suited to low light w/o flash. The macro mode is very good, as is typical for Panasonic. The ZS10/TZ20 does improve upon the video mode as it uses the CMOS sensor. However, that same sensor along with an increase in MP, has resulted in a degradation of the still image quality. That camera just came out so don't expect a replacement any time soon. Besides, the replacement will also be a CMOS camera as that is the way the series is going now.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:41 AM   #3

yeah i'm keen on better video but not at the cost of the still image quality...

I was hoping they'll make a newer version of the tz10/zs7 with better video..

no chance of that we think?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
yeah i'm keen on better video but not at the cost of the still image quality...

I was hoping they'll make a newer version of the tz10/zs7 with better video..

no chance of that we think?
Zero chance. The ZS10/TZ20 is the ZS7/TZ10 replacement. The series will use CMOS from here on into the foreseeable future.

Also, CCD sensors are not fast enough to do full HD, so even if there was a different product line that stuck with CCD, it wouldn't do full HD.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:38 AM   #5

ok well that's intersting.... 720p is still pretty good but apparently they didn't like it on the tz10/sz7..

or was that on the xz-1... very confusing...

what's your opinion on the photo quality of the xz-1 vs the s95... to me the xz-1 just takes nicer photos and they have a warmth to them whereas the canon seems clinical and cold...

obviously i'm still weighing up the options with zoom vs quality...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:31 PM   #6

Well, I own both the ZS7/TZ10 and the S95. While I like the ZS7 quite a bit, I found myself shooting under tree cover very often (I'm a hiker). I found I was shooting in ISO 200 very often and ISO 400 fairly often under those circumstances. So I picked up the S95 and the ZS7 stays home unless my wife is with me to carry it. I do miss the zoom somewhat, but far less than I thought I would.

Now as for the S95 pics being cold, definitely not. The S95 takes very warm pics, as is typical for Canon. The XZ-1 has the magenta bumped up a bit higher so they may be a bit warmer still. The XZ-1 won't fit in most pockets so keep that in mind. It's sensor is noisier (it uses a Panasonic sensor vs the Sony sensor in the Canon) and also loses more detail in JPEG at high ISO due to NR (which is not adjustable). However, its lens is the brightest in its class throughout the focal range. With the S95, once you start zooming, the lens shuts down quick, so in low light you really need to shoot wide. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either cam honestly. Both have their own pros and cons and both are great compacts.

Here's an S95 sample anyway ... definitely quite warm. This pic is actually a bit too warm.

Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:58 PM   #7

nice.. the photo too . your dog?

i think i'm going to go with the xz-1. i have read and considered your comments and just about every other post available. the bottom line for me is the photos it takes REALLY appeal to me.

i'm going to go to the camera shop and compare the s95 if i can though...

have you got any suggestions on an indoor photo (fluro lighting) that will give both cameras an 'even' comparison?

I'm pretty new so start with the mode of the camera and go from there... if you tell me the settings i'll be able to figure it out...

thanks for you help!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:34 PM   #8

Yep, my dog ... 1 of 4 actually - but she's the favorite.

Again, I think either camera is a great choice so I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever way you go.

I would try Program Auto with both cams and make sure you shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG. That way if you choose the wrong WB setting, you can easily fix it at home. The auto WB works very well on the S95 outdoors, but indoors it's a bit off so I usually use manual WB indoors. Not sure about the XZ-1. Regardless, if you shoot in RAW with both you can choose which WB looks best at home if you make a mistake.

I would also shoot at several different ISO settings with each camera to get an idea of what each looks like. e.g. 80-200-400-800-1600
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:03 PM   #9

thanks for your help... from what i've read, when using the xz-1 you want to try and avoid high iso's and take full advantage of the brightness of it...

4-800 the canon will outperform it i think.... i'll have a look at some dusk photos online and see what the iso is in lower light... i won't be shooting in really low light but indoors and dusk/dawn are definates
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:50 PM   #10

Just make sure whatever camera you get from the trips that you have ample batteries and memory cards available to use with it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote