Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:54 PM   #1

Default XZ-1 Taking the plunge. Noob & Firmware questions

I'm a noob and i've bought cameras before and never been happy with the feel or quality of the photos.

Xz-1 photos really do it for me so i'm going to take the plunge... I have some questions though...

I will buy my camera locally to get a warranty but I need some advice on...

1. Are olympus likely (bast on prior knowledge) to release firmware to allow added features like in camera noise reduction?

2. Are olympus likely to release firmware for the autofocus issue with video?
so one is a question of firmware to add new functionality, the other is firmware to fix an obvious problem.

3. I will need to buy extra batteries, memory card & charger. I was reading on here that wasabi are very good and this is a link at bottom of post) to it but they are sold out... does anyone know where i can purchase? I'm in Australia but happy to pay shipping.

4. Which memory card should i buy and where from? I'm thinking the same site due to shipping etc ...

5. finally, if a get a chance in store to use the xz-1, what settings should i use to get a quality shot. it'll be in a fluro lit shop. I can get the WB correct but i would like some help with the other settings from someone with an XZ-1..

http://www.bluenook.com/Wasabi-Power...Rank=salesrank
sleeprequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:37 PM   #2

well if oly does release a firmware for the xz-1 it will most likely to fix flaws or issues, so if there is a AF issue with video they may issues one. No brands have really release firmware to add features.

Battery and extra cards are always a good idea, as video drains compact batteries and fill cards quickly.

Transcend, Lexar, Sandisk, delkin, panasonic and kingston are all good cards. Any of them in class 6 or better will work fine with the xz1.

I shoot mostly in manual or aperture priority. Shoot with the lens at the biggest aperture, and 800iso, and it will give you a good idea how the camera preforms in low light. You can also shoot at 1600iso to compare the extra stop for when you shoot in very low light.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:22 PM   #3

thanks for the advice...

do you have an xz-1? most of the reading i've done says they can shoot at lower ISO than other cameras in low light... basically it suffers 400 a bit and 800 quite a lot. Most reports say you should be able to keep it at 100-200 ... most of the 800 shots have a decent amount of noise..
sleeprequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:58 PM   #4

No, but the 1/1.67 sensor will let it shoots at higher iso, and that will be a good test for the camera. No I do not shoot a xz1, I shot the olympus pen's.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:26 AM   #5

1. Absolutely not. No company has ever done this. (oh, shoturtle already said that)

2. Possible, but unlikely. Many P&S pocket cams have a similar issue and to date, no one has fixed it.

3. I never buy third party batteries. I have yet to ever see one that holds a charge as well or as long as an OEM battery. That said, to some people the price savings is enough to warrant the purchase anyway.

4. Class 6 is plenty. I've got a Sandisk Extreme III a Kingston Micro w/ an adapter and a Panasonic ... they all work at their rated speeds and without errors.

Again, in reference to the ISO, you will be shooting at or above ISO 400 much more often than you think (indoors, dusk). Be sure that you are satisfied with the camera's performance at these ISO level before you buy.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:47 AM   #6

As has been mentioned, firmware updates are typically only done to fix bugs or problems in the software. Very rarely do you get new features or more functionality through a firmware update.

Also, I agree with only buying official batteries. 3rd party batteries are a crapshoot. Some work well, some work ok, some don't work at all, and if they cause an issue with your camera, they all will void your warranty. I don't understand spending $400 (or thousands on a dslr) on a camera, and then trying to save $20 or $30 bucks on a battery.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote