Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:19 PM   #1

Default New camera, new lenses

I have been using my 6 year old Nikon D50 and i am finally ready to upgrade.

Considering my budget, the Canon T2i orT3i seems to be the best option(just wondering, do they have bracketing?), but the problems arise when it comes to lens loadout. So i would like your suggestions- keeping in mind these issues-

1- i have a 35mm f1.8 Nikkor prime lens- is there any way i can repurpose it to be used on my canon using convertors?

2- i would ideally like to have 3 lenses but i dont need to buy all of them right now.

In case the Nikkor prime cannot be used. I would like to buy 2 lenses for the time being...
and my choices would be

1- 18-55 kit lens, which i am told isnt bad at all. and couple that with either the 55-200 or 55-250 or finally the 70-300 lenses. I am told that the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USD is very good? Now please keep in mind my max budget for this 2nd lens would not exceed 550 usd MAX. So please, please do not tempt me with the canon 70-300 or other insanely priced lenses. Had i the means, i would buy it. Beggars cant be choosers,right?

2- would a 18-135 and 70-300 combo work if my total lens budget was 650 usd? or is that unaffordable?

3- finally what about a single walkaround lens? either the canon 18-200 or a tamron/sigma 18-250 or the tamron 18-270?

I would also like to have some moderate macro ability, if possible. And it would be a real icing on the cake, if the lenses could be used with a teleconverter(which brings me to my final point- how are the opteka and tokina teleconverters?). The main place where i am getting stuck is that most of the reviews are done with cameras less than 12 megapixel and i am told that the cameras i mentioned are very unforgiving when using cheaper lenses. I understand that i wont get the absolute best, i just want some lenses that will do 90% of the job and wont require me to sell my kidneys!

Please suggest me something. I think i am going to go crazy reading conflicting reviews.

Last edited by lamatnes; Apr 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM.
lamatnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:27 PM   #2

no the nikon lenses will not work with the canon. So you can most likely sell it and recoup some money.

The canon 70-300 IS USM and tamron 70-300 VC USD are both good lenses. And focus pretty fast. The tamron does have internal focus, which is a nice feature when using a cpl.

The 18-135 is not as good of a lens. But it is okay. It you really want a better lens then the 18-55 the ef 15-85 IS USM would but a much better lens. If you were going to toward the 18-135 I would just go megazoom lens instead.

The megazooms are not as good as a 2 lens set up, but 18-270 with the new PZ model would be my pick if I were to go to a all in one. If you want top iq, go with 2 lenses, but there is a place with a megazoom all in one.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:59 PM   #3

Is there a particular reason you don't want to continue with Nikon? At least you could keep the 35mm f/1.8 lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:09 PM   #4

I do want to keep the nikon lens. Any suggestions on adapters and the lens loadout?
i am shifting to Canon because of the video capabilities plus price to features ratio.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:21 PM   #5

If you are going to make the switch. there is is really no reason to keep the 35 1.8. You can get canon 35 f2 or sigma 30 1.4 to replace the 35 1.8.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:14 PM   #6

What about the rest of lens loadout? Guys, please help.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:24 PM   #7

If you're serious about video, one of the superzoom lenses might be a good idea. They give you a broad zoom range without changing lenses, so you can do a lot of zooming during a single movie clip, and they're good enough for video. But for still images, they're more expensive and not as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.

So what do you want to shoot?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:31 PM   #8

I want to take stills of wildlife and good portraits. landscape comes a distant second.
As for video, I totally understand what you mean by a one lens for all option. But these reviews are very confusing. First of all, not many reviews for the new Tamron 18/270 PZ lens. and most of them say both tamron and sigma are terrible, and i simply cant afford those Canon L lenses. So what do you suggest?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:10 PM   #9

The megazoom are not horrible, they are just not as good. The softness that they talk about, can be improved in PP with some sharping. Out of all the megazoom the tamron it currently the best of the bunch.

I have seen allot of people that use megazoom for travel. They do make it simpler and easier. I have consider megazoom lenses multiple times. And the only reason I did not add one to my canon setup is because I added on to my olympus kit instead. They have thie place and they are not horrible if you are not comparing them to L's. They are a bit behind the consumer grade lenses, but they still produce a nice photo that can be tweaked in PP to be better.

The European reviews have been much more receptive to megazooms then the US reviews. So it really comes down tho how using and what you are expecting form the lens.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:51 AM   #10

For wildlife, the superzooms aren't generally long enough. Depending on the actual wildlife you're after, you should look for something at least 300mm and possibly longer. For portraits, the apertures for the superzooms are small so they don't generally work well for that, either.

Superzooms are jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses. The do many things adequately, but few things well. They have a lot of distortion at the wide end, a lot of chromatic aberration at the long end, and aren't very sharp anywhere in their zoom range. This works ok for video because the downsampling (from >12MP to 2MP) dilutes most of the flaws. For stills, it helps to be either careful or lucky.