Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:55 AM   #1

Default Camera purchase help.

I'm new to digital cameras and with asking for assistance from stores they always point you to the most expensive camera or something with the highest MP or optical zoom or this or that, and that doesn't do anything except turn me away. I talked to a friend briefly and he told me that none of this matters, so I'm completely stumped.

Price Range: Nothing over 220
Primary Use: Taking pictures of scorpions & snakes.
Secondary Use: Vacation in London(July)
Options: I would prefer a rechargeable battery, faster picture speed, easy to use.

I'm just interested in purchasing a camera and not planning on doing any lenses and sensors or what not because I would rather not get into all of the technical things. I will post a few pictures of some of the other people that have taken pictures and how they've came out so maybe it will help with the suggestions. I've tried to list everything I can possibly think but I may of forgotten something, so please if you need to ask anything to help me choose what digital camera will fit me the best please post as I've set it to automatically notify me.

Ecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:54 PM   #2

Based on the photos, all I can really tell is that you need a camera with a good macro mode. In terms of compacts, I think Panasonic most consistently offers a good macro mode on their various cameras. The ZS7 was around the $200 mark but may have gone up since it is now discontinued and supplies are dwindling. You didn't make any mention of whether or not you would be shooting in low light, but I guess that's irrelevant anyway due to your budget constraints.

I'm not sure about the respective macro modes, but the Canon SX130 and current A-series model are good cams for the money overall.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Based on the photos, all I can really tell is that you need a camera with a good macro mode. In terms of compacts, I think Panasonic most consistently offers a good macro mode on their various cameras. The ZS7 was around the $200 mark but may have gone up since it is now discontinued and supplies are dwindling. You didn't make any mention of whether or not you would be shooting in low light, but I guess that's irrelevant anyway due to your budget constraints.

I'm not sure about the respective macro modes, but the Canon SX130 and current A-series model are good cams for the money overall.
I like that Panasonic ZS7, seems to have a lot of good settings. I also like the Cannon, but the thing that has me concerned is the AA batteries, I was told that you get about half the shots you do with a rechargeable battery. Between the two I may go for the Panasonic, but they're all $269 for the ZS7, while the ZS8 is only $279. Not sure what the major difference is but I think I prefer the ZS over the Cannon.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:04 AM   #4

I have the ZS7 and it's a great pocketable P&S. The ZS10 is the ZS7 replacement and the ZS8 is the ZS10's lesser twin. The new cameras use a CMOS sensor and more MP on the same size sensor, so the image quality is behind that of the older ZS7. The newer models do have better video, but if video isn't a concern, there's no real reason to even consider them imho.

Here's a ZS7 shot using macro + digital zoom. I don't really recommend using digital zoom on any camera, but in this case, it did pretty well I think.

Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:43 PM   #5

Quote:
The new cameras use a CMOS sensor

ZS8 have CCD sensor as quoted by Photography Blog
funktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktastic View Post
ZS8 have CCD sensor as quoted by Photography Blog
Sorry, you are correct. Only the ZS10 has a CMOS. Regardless, the ZS7 IQ is superior to that of the ZS8, due to the difference in pixel density.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:10 PM   #7

I'm going to get the ZS7, just seems everybody over prices the black model.

Last edited by Ecstasy; Apr 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Nvm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstasy View Post
I'm going to get the ZS7, just seems everybody over prices the black model.
The red one is often the cheapest if you can live with the color.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:47 AM   #9

If you are interested in the ZS7 keep looking around for a better price. Both my local Costcos have stock and at $199. I believe the SX130 could fit your needs as well with a set of rechargables (about $10) too. BestBuy currently has it on sale for $180.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
If you are interested in the ZS7 keep looking around for a better price. Both my local Costcos have stock and at $199. I believe the SX130 could fit your needs as well with a set of rechargables (about $10) too. BestBuy currently has it on sale for $180.
I just looked at costcos website and bestbuy and neither even list the zs7.