Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunk143 View Post
Hi guys, Thank you for your suggestions.
So now i'm considering a DSLR.
I have only 700$ to spend.
I'm getting a Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm kit for 700$. Will it be worth?
I came to know that 18-55mm won't provide me the exact depth of field that i require.
They say that the Tele-zoom that is required for the blur effect won't be there if i try to capture it from a distance.
That means either i will have to stand close to the subject or i will have to get a 24-105mm/18-250mm.
That comes out to be an expenditure of 1000$, if i go for a new one.
I am considering a new camera (D3100) and an old lens...
And yes the new D3100 (body) is for 500$.
Thank you.
The D3100 would be a good camera and the kit lens is an 'ok-decent' lens. Not ideal for portraits but more a landscape/walkabout lens. To get the best blur is usually down to the speed of the lens so the faster the lens the more shallow depth of field. With the money your looking at investing you can probably get the D3100 with kit lens and maybe the 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 lens for your portraits. Zoom lenses generally offer more flexibility but prime lenses offer better detail/sharpness and bokeh (background blur) Like I mentioned I managed to get a S3 Pro with 50mm lens for less than 300 (which would out at a guess around $450-$500) and not forgetting camera equipment generally is more expensive than in the other countries.

Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted on your decision

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:55 AM   #12

As a cheap option if you don't want to stand close to your subject go for either a Tamron or Sigma 70-300 lens. In this country on ebay you can pick up one for around 120 new. For the money they are excellent value but obviously not in the same league as say a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 lens. That'll be my next purchase for my daughter as at the moment she has the sigma 15-30mm (wide angle) 24-120 VR for walkabout, 50mm 1.8 for portraits and I'll probably get the Sigma 70-300 Apo for a bit of telephoto for her.
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:35 AM   #13

For blur background, Do we need a special camera ???

I think its automatically done in any camera when we focus to an object and rest of the objects will be blur.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:45 AM   #14

You have to be careful with Nikon right now. The D3100 does not have a focus motor. So, the nikon 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 lenses will NOT auto focus on it. I don't recommend trying to manually focus with the small/dim viewfinders and default focus screens at such wide apertures. Now, supposedly nikon is releasing a new version of the 50mm 1.8 that will have a focus motor - it appeared on their website and then disappeared. But right now, you have to buy the much more expensive 50mm 1.4 lenses (from nikon or sigma) to get autofocus.

I would strongly suggest looking at Canon or Sony where you can use a less expensive 50mm 1.8 (around $120) lens.

You can get some shallow depth of field using long telephoto lenses but you have to then be quite a bit away. That can work outdoors but not so well if you ever want to take an indoor shot. Here's a handy calculator you can plug in some values to see what happens to depth-of-field:
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You have to be careful with Nikon right now. The D3100 does not have a focus motor. So, the nikon 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 lenses will NOT auto focus on it. I don't recommend trying to manually focus with the small/dim viewfinders and default focus screens at such wide apertures. Now, supposedly nikon is releasing a new version of the 50mm 1.8 that will have a focus motor - it appeared on their website and then disappeared. But right now, you have to buy the much more expensive 50mm 1.4 lenses (from nikon or sigma) to get autofocus.

I would strongly suggest looking at Canon or Sony where you can use a less expensive 50mm 1.8 (around $120) lens.

You can get some shallow depth of field using long telephoto lenses but you have to then be quite a bit away. That can work outdoors but not so well if you ever want to take an indoor shot. Here's a handy calculator you can plug in some values to see what happens to depth-of-field:
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Yup! I'm well aware of that. Thats why i'm still waiting...
hunk143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
As a cheap option if you don't want to stand close to your subject go for either a Tamron or Sigma 70-300 lens. In this country on ebay you can pick up one for around 120 new. For the money they are excellent value but obviously not in the same league as say a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 lens. That'll be my next purchase for my daughter as at the moment she has the sigma 15-30mm (wide angle) 24-120 VR for walkabout, 50mm 1.8 for portraits and I'll probably get the Sigma 70-300 Apo for a bit of telephoto for her.
Yes, My friend told me about the prime lenses.
And will the Prime lens get me good landscape & other such images too?
As i click 50% landscape images & 30% Macros.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:44 PM   #17

Usually, people use wide angle settings for landscapes. It's possible with most kit zoom lenses or you can get a wide angle prime. However, those are not cheap. If you have a budget of $700, I suggest getting a camera with a kit lens (something like 18-55mm) and one inexpensive prime lens for portraits. It all depends on how much of a stickler you are for picture quality. Some people are happy with the picture quality of their kits lens (for portraits and landscape and even macro shots) and others are more demanding. I am not sure that you can figure out what you want or need without some experience shooting with a kind of basic setup. There are some superzoom lenses which go from 18-200, 18-250 or even 18-270mm. You can shoot in all kinds of settings, but a lot of people say you sacrifice too much picture quality in order to get the convenience of having to carry only one lens.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:35 PM   #18

Hey guys, How about a Canon EOS 1100D + EF28-105mm f/3.5-4.5II USM Lens?
Will it do for me?
Regards,
Hunk
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:54 AM   #19

It looks like a decent combination. Check out dpreview's very recent review of that camera. They recommend checking out the Nikon D3100 and Pentax K-r as well. Can you get the Canon T1i where you are? That's one more alternative.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
It looks like a decent combination. Check out dpreview's very recent review of that camera. They recommend checking out the Nikon D3100 and Pentax K-r as well. Can you get the Canon T1i where you are? That's one more alternative.
Yes! The 500D (body) is available here for 610$, its like i just need 200$ more.