Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:10 PM   #1

Default Need a camera for indoor pics of kids and pets

I currently have a Fuji F10, and I like it just fine. Recently, though, its been operating slower, and doesn't hold a charge, so I think its time for a new camera. I love the natural light mode, and am sorry to see it go. I'm really overwhelmed by all the options and having a hard time narrowing it down. I'm hoping for some suggestions and advice.

Here is what I'm looking for in a camera:
  1. Speed. I mainly take pictures of my dogs and baby, and I want to be able to take pictures quickly. I want the camera to turn on quickly, take the picture quickly, and be able to take another picture quickly.
  2. Good performance indoors. Most of my pictures are taken in my house, which doesn't have the best lighting. So, either good low light performance or a great flash, I think.
  3. Battery life. I always forget to charge the camera, so either really great battery life, or AA batteries.
  4. Cost. Under $350, please.
  5. Versatile. I currently don't adjust the manual settings on the camera, but I would like to learn. My husband, however, wants pre-set modes that are clearly accessible from a dial on top of the camera. No going into the menus for him!
Video capability is not important at all. Zoom would be great, but not at the expense of my top five priorities.

I really appreciate your suggestions and advice!
MandyPandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:12 PM   #2

canon s95, panasonic lx5 or olympus xz1 are the only ones with good low light abilities with the larger 1/1.63 sensor. The smaller sensor digicam will give you similar results. The other options would be a DSLR or a EVIL camera. But they get more expensive.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:19 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I own and use the Canon S90 (preceded the S95) and am very pleased with the performance. Small and compact and good image quality. Only draw back is the limited zoom (3 x). You might also consider the Canon G12 which has a longer zoom and can take an external flash as well. Both these cameras have the larger 1/1.63 sensor which improves low light performance.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:38 PM   #4

mandy-

Yes, the Canon S-90 and S-95, as well as other large imager cameras do an excellent job. However, I do not think that you have to go to the expense of the Canon S95, the panasonic LX5, or similar cameras as long as you are using flash for your indoor photos. You might find that a simple, easy to use camera like the Kodak Z950, and using the camera's built-in flash unit, may well meet your requirements. New Z950 cameras are very hard to find, but there are a number on the used market that are below $100.

I have attached a Z950 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5

There is allot of noise in that small sensor shot. Look at the back of the chair, shelf and the mouse on the computer. It is very apparent that you get allot of noise with the tiny senor if you go above 600iso. If you can see it on a web photo. It will jump out at you on a 8x10 print. Also in the area without allot of noise, there is ample light form the window.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6

S/T-

You are exactly correct. However, the average snap shooter is not equally as critical in terms of noise as you are.I felt it important to give Mandy a choice other than pointing here toward $350+ cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:33 PM   #7

But the top 5 requirements of the OP, number 2 states good low light ability. If your shot did not have a large natural light coming from the window. The noise would be more apparent. And the OP said at home, the lighting is bad. So a tiny senor will not give great results in that situation.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:11 PM   #8

Default Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thank you for the suggestions so far! The S90 and S95 do seem like great cameras...but pricier than I'd hoped to pay. I don't think the Kodak would work well for me, though. My needs are simple (I think, at least), but I would like less noise in my images. I have no problems using a flash indoors, though.

I've gotten other suggestions for a Canon SX 130 or a Sony SD4000. I'm worried that the SX 130 might be too slow for me, and that the SD4000 might be too hard for my husband to use. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming, please!
MandyPandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:20 PM   #9

If you want the least amount of noise, the larger sensor camera mention by jelpee and myself will give you better results. With the G12 or LX5 or XZ1 you can add a dedicated flash to the hotshoe. But with larger sensor you get better image quality when the light level drops, but they tend to be pricer.