Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:25 PM   #1

Default GPS Camera help

So here is the deal Iím a beginner, a noob, someone who knows next to nothing about digital photography Ė and I want a new camera. I have three requirements I want a decent zoom, a GPS and for not too much more than 270 Euro. I am going to use the camera for taking pictures when I travel, nothing fancy just to have something to show friends and family.

I have been looking at some different cameras and I seem to be able to find six cameras that meet the requirements these are: Samsung WB650, Canon PowerShot SX230 HS, Casio EXILIM Hi-Zoom EX-H20G, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10, Sony DSC-HX5 and Fujifilm FinePix F550EXR. But now what? Since I donít know too much about this I can see that there is a difference in specs, some higher megapixel count, some better zoom and some higher video resolution but I am pretty sure that is not the whole picture. I also heard that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 has a problem with the battery life and that the Samsung WB650 has poor image quality!?

So I need help, what to choose? Hope someone has some ideas or something for me.

Thank you in advance, Jesper...
jbh_denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:05 AM   #2

If the GPS is important, just scratch Samsung off the list entirely. Their GPS doesn't work worth a darn. The HX5V has great video but otherwise, the camera sucks imho. Given the remaining choices, I'd go with either the SX230 or the TZ10.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
If the GPS is important, just scratch Samsung off the list entirely. Their GPS doesn't work worth a darn. The HX5V has great video but otherwise, the camera sucks imho. Given the remaining choices, I'd go with either the SX230 or the TZ10.
Thanks, that seems to fit well with what other have told me and what I have been reading in reviews. Now the big question is just whether to choose the SX230 or TZ10... :-P
jbh_denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4

Well I have the ZS7 (TZ10) and think it's a great P&S, but I am partial to Canon color. The TZ10 will give you sharper images but the Canon will give you better video.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:46 AM   #5

TZ10 is a v renowned camera but do also look up the new Olympus,Sony and Nikon lines.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:48 PM   #6

The problem with all of the new cameras is that they all use CMOS sensors so the images are less sharp and noisier (or smeared with NR) on all new models across the board, when compared to their CCD predecessors. Nikon hasn't put out a top contender in the P&S field in nearly a decade and Sony excels at video, but falls behind in terms of still quality. I have the Sony HX5V and I could fill a page with all of my complaints about that POS camera. I haven't really looked at any Oly superzooms so I can't tell you anything about them. Until the XZ-1, Oly had probably never offered anything spectacular in the P&S pocket cams, but obviously the XZ-1 seems to indicate that they are changing their focus.

If I was going to go out and buy a superzoom today, I would probably get the SX230. Although the images may be a little softer, I'm anxious to get a cam with 1080 video (the HX5V is so bad otherwise that I refuse to carry it). Unfortunately, the SX230 only shoots at 24 fps, which puts it way behind the competition. Canon nearly always does a great job with AWB and color as well.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote