Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:37 PM   #11

Hey, Peter, thanks for the explanation. I didn't intend to hijack this thread about $1,000 DSLR, bit I obviously have done so, LOL.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:42 PM   #12

Not at all, I just think people should know. I have some reservations about Nikon as well, as the way they've treated some people here (Belize) with lens problems has been, shall we say, unsympathetic. My answer to the OP would be without any doubt to get a 550D (or maybe a 600D) with the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. A superb value and performing package.

Last edited by peterbj7; Apr 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey, Peter, thanks for the explanation. I didn't intend to hijack this thread about $1,000 DSLR, bit I obviously have done so, LOL.
That being said, it does bring up a good point about brands. Even though I may pay a little more, I'm completely sold on Canon for the very reasons Peter is as well. I think this is important when spending $1,000 on a DSLR, so I think it's worth mentioning here. I would be willing to increase my budget a little if it meant getting a Canon & here's why:

I purchased a 1D MarkIII used last year. I've been very pleased with it, but I did notice that there was a second notice about another AF issue that might exist in some of these (not the original problem that was in the first release). I contacted Canon by email, told them I purchased the camera used & that it wasn't under warranty, but asked what it would take to get the "fix". They emailed backed, said that they would pay for shipping both ways, apply the fix at no cost, PLUS give me a full 6 month warranty on top of it. WOW & WOW! I've NEVER had a company offer that level of service on ANYTHING I've purchased, including my VERY expensive luxury car that I drove from 1998 to 2004. I'm sold on Canon, period, even if I have to pay more. I think that is something that should be taken into consideration when deciding how far that $1,000 will go on a new DSLR.

Last edited by jdnan; Apr 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:48 PM   #14

Well canon USA fixed a lens I picked up in japan free of charge, got it back to me in under a week. And when I sent my t1i in for warranty work, they replaces the scratch up case free of charge, I was expecting them to charge me for that. Olympus and Canon has excellent customer service in the US form my experience. And you get 2 lenses that are very good for general photography. And for 125 more you can add the ef 50 1.8, which make a very sound kit.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I purchased a 1D MarkIII used last year
Totally off topic, but I'm very interested in getting one for myself. Maybe by PM, could you tell me how you found it, what you paid, and what issues you faced?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:09 AM   #16

Thank U all ,the country where I am, Canon might nt have the same type of service standards. Anyway thank u all for your advice.600D for some reason doesn't have encouraging reviews.Generally the 550D is rated higher. Nt much diff between them anyway. Since buying my first DSLR I would prob also prefer a model which is nt replaced soon.Nt that it matters in the longrun. I am going to hold them and then decide. BTW Canon(19%) is the market leader in digicams closely followed by Sony(17.9%) and Nikon (12.7%) :-)
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Thank U all ,the country where I am, Canon might nt have the same type of service standards. Anyway thank u all for your advice.600D for some reason doesn't have encouraging reviews.Generally the 550D is rated higher. Nt much diff between them anyway. Since buying my first DSLR I would prob also prefer a model which is nt replaced soon.Nt that it matters in the longrun. I am going to hold them and then decide. BTW Canon(19%) is the market leader in digicams closely followed by Sony(17.9%) and Nikon (12.7%) :-)
Here are the market share numbers that might be more meangingful to anyone looking to purchase a DSLR:

Interchangeable lens only (DSLR, mirrorless, etc.):
  • Canon 44.5%
  • Nikon 29.8%
  • Sony 11.9%
  • Everyone else: 13.8%
Old Apr 23, 2011, 6:56 AM   #18

This means that these 3 r the major market players in digicams. My choices are also from amongst these 3. The probs I have with the Canons is pixel cramming,i.e smallest sensor in the class,and a friend of mine gt the 550D,which lasted for 7days and broke down and the replacement hasn't arrived yet.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:39 AM   #19

I hope you get what you're looking for and have a great time with it. There are lot of good choices out there.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
a friend of mine gt the 550D,which lasted for 7days and broke down
Untypical, but any high-tech machinery can have problems.