Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Default Fuji HS20 or Canon 1000d or some thing else?

My Interests : Bird Photography , Flowers, Macro , landscape and portrait......rather I like capturing beauty of nature.

Priorities :
1 Image quality in good sunlight (most important)
2 Good Zoom
3 live view
4 AA battery

Experience Level : Not yet used To dSLRs but would like to

Budget Around 500USD

Can compromise with :
Performance in low light
Video
Speed

Based on my budget I have shortlisted Fuji HS20 and Canon 1000d
After doing a lot of research I saw most people claiming that entry level DSLRs provide better Image Quality than HS20....mainly in low light .....I am less concerned about low light photography and I would rather prefer shooting in the morning and evening .....
based on this do you think that canon 1000d will give better image quality than HS20? also let me know if there is any other better alternative(s) .

Last edited by prelude; Apr 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:16 PM   #2

If Birds in flight, a dslr with the right lens. But with your budget the HS20 is a good option and will meet your AA battery requirement.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:43 PM   #3

Just my two cents and experience is that for the most part the HS20 is an AWESOME camera. I had a D-SLR and had issue with it from changing lenses and in the long run I felt I got more out of my HS10 than I did with an D-SLR. A D-SLR will of course capture images faster per say if the bird is in flight when using the right lens. But consider the HS20 has a 28-720 zoom. That would cost a fortune to duplicate with a D-SLR. But within your budget the HS20 comes in just under $500 add a class 10 card and 4 eneloop AAs and your in business.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If Birds in flight, a dslr with the right lens. But with your budget the HS20 is a good option and will meet your AA battery requirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Just my two cents and experience is that for the most part the HS20 is an AWESOME camera. I had a D-SLR and had issue with it from changing lenses and in the long run I felt I got more out of my HS10 than I did with an D-SLR. A D-SLR will of course capture images faster per say if the bird is in flight when using the right lens. But consider the HS20 has a 28-720 zoom. That would cost a fortune to duplicate with a D-SLR. But within your budget the HS20 comes in just under $500 add a class 10 card and 4 eneloop AAs and your in business.

dave
Given the criteria, I agree with both of these guys. The cost of the Canon body alone is running around $450. Add a decent birding lens, and you're over your budget... WAY over. Although, I have and use a DSLR, my going-out-the-door camera is the HS-20 simply for convenience and flexibility. But, the best camera is the one you will USE.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:18 PM   #5

@OP : May I know what is the advantage of AA batteries than the Li-on batteries ???

I think Li-on batteries are more durable/rechargeable/powerful than AA batteries.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTechie View Post
@OP : May I know what is the advantage of AA batteries than the Li-on batteries ???

I think Li-on batteries are more durable/rechargeable/powerful than AA batteries.
They are also more costly and not as readily available as AAs. There are rechargeable AAs that don't require a proprietary charger. You can buy AAs anywhere. If the Li-on battery craps out on you or you failed to charge it before you're day out... you're pretty much screwed. And, we've all done it or will.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Apr 23, 2011 at 6:22 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:56 PM   #7

I have some AA rechargeable eneloops that last 600 shots per charge so they do last a long time.......
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:41 PM   #8

Based on your criteria I would say a dSLR is not going to work for you. The HS20 should do just about everything and with some diligence, patience and practice you can get decent to excellent birds in flight shots. You may not have a high keeper rate but when you do get the shot the results will be very pleasing. If I had known a camera HS20 was to come out like this I would have held off on the HS10. I still like it but the images I have been seeing here is simply great.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:22 PM   #9

Default One of my question remains unanswered

Please let if know ...will the Canon 1000d give me a better Image quality than the Fuji HS20 in good sunlight
prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:43 PM   #10

Yes, but you really need to look close. it is when it is not in the best light that you will see the difference, at 800 and 1600iso.