Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:52 PM   #1

Default Is there a best time of year to buy?

In doing some research I have noticed a lot of new models are coming out right now. The models they are replacing are getting some big price cuts. Is this an annual thing?
Just wondering as I don't really need new camera till vacation at the end of summer. I am trying to decide between potentially buying a model being phased out now, or waiting for possible price drops in a few months.
kayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:53 PM   #2

There is no "annual" cycle to all of this. Entry level cameras have a shorter product cycle, while higher priced, higher featured cameras have a longer product cycle. Acquiring the old model is a wonderful way to evaluate the older model's capabilities against the newer and making an informed decision as to what fits your own circumstances and needs the best.

I would advise to select a model type - entry, advanced, semi pro or pro, and monitor the various makes (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc.) in terms of their models that you may be interested in, along with understanding their lens offerings. Then wait and watch.

You can also go back a few models and see when they were introduced, and the particular cycle time for that particular model type. That will give you a pretty good idea as to when there may be a new introduction. Also, looking at what the current models have in the way of features, and what the current industry feature sets are for that model type.

Then its getting ready to make an informed decision....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:03 PM   #3

not really anymore especially with the events in Japan. All prices have gone back to msrp for most models.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:54 AM   #4

Some great suggestions, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
There is no "annual" cycle to all of this. Entry level cameras have a shorter product cycle, while higher priced, higher featured cameras have a longer product cycle. Acquiring the old model is a wonderful way to evaluate the older model's capabilities against the newer and making an informed decision as to what fits your own circumstances and needs the best.

I would advise to select a model type - entry, advanced, semi pro or pro, and monitor the various makes (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc.) in terms of their models that you may be interested in, along with understanding their lens offerings. Then wait and watch.

You can also go back a few models and see when they were introduced, and the particular cycle time for that particular model type. That will give you a pretty good idea as to when there may be a new introduction. Also, looking at what the current models have in the way of features, and what the current industry feature sets are for that model type.

Then its getting ready to make an informed decision....
kayray is offline   Reply With Quote