Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:30 PM   #1

Default New Compact Digital Camera Recs?

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my current 5 year old Olympus Stylus 720 SW. I purchased this for my husband 5 years ago after he dropped our new Canon PowerShot SD in the river while fishing. Waterproof and shock-proof are not necessary but a nice to have features. We have also owned an Casio Exilim and a Nikon CoolPix in the last 10 years. I don't have any particular brand loyalty but did really enjoy the Canon we had.

I use the camera mainly to take photos of the kids. It needs to be compact enough to go in a pocket. Speed is also important as it seems I am always missing a shot or having to edit through the pics taken in burst mode.

I mostly use the Auto mode but do change the mode sometimes to kill the flash or adjust for night. I also would like a camera with video functionality but we also have a Vado HD (never have it when we need it, of course.)

I also use a Mac. I would like to spend $400 or less but am open to suggestions. I would think that this camera would get us through the next 5 years?

THANKS in advance for any suggestions!
MamaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:26 PM   #2

mamaH-

We are going to need a few more details please to make a good recommendation. How much zoom do you want?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3

I love close ups but don't have a specific zoom range in mind (don't know enough about it to state a number. Sorry :^) Most of my pics are taken close up or pretty close - not too far away.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:42 AM   #4

MamaH-

Take a good look at the Canon SD4000 if you like to shoot in automatic, or the Canon S95 is you are accustomed to manual settings.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:02 AM   #5

The S95 works fine in auto mode. If you're on a tight budget, check out the SD4000. If you're not, check out the S95.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Any suggestions on extended warranty options or providers? Am considering a purchase from BestBuy since they have it in stock. They offer $39 - $69 - $89 packages for 1-2-3 years. I did not see an extended warranty option on the Canon website. Any suggestions appreciated. I would also prefer to buy from a local store like Mike's but they are out of stock.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaH View Post
Any suggestions on extended warranty options or providers? Am considering a purchase from BestBuy since they have it in stock. They offer $39 - $69 - $89 packages for 1-2-3 years. I did not see an extended warranty option on the Canon website. Any suggestions appreciated. I would also prefer to buy from a local store like Mike's but they are out of stock.
After market warranty are waste of $$$. Why spend money betting something will break?
Better to wait for it to happen...if it does at all, and deal with it then through the manufactures service dept. Many warranties are through third party providers not the manufacturer, and they may not be in business when you need them. I'm on my second Canon and have not had problem in 7 years.
I like my S95 except for the pop up flash. I keep it off always
Good luck with your camera.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote