Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Is the S9100 the best overall P&S Camera on the market with some manual controls?
Yes 0 0%
No 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:22 AM   #1

Default I love the Nikon Coolpix S9100 - but really DSLR - however recently disabled..

I have a Nikon D80 and a few lens for it - and its awesome. The things you can do with a DSLR is amazing ... manual to automatic...

However, never damage to arms/shoulders and muscle damage and complete loss of deltoid in dominate arm... hard to type.. but still love photography - and now lots of tripods

Yet I need the light camera version of a D90 DSLR... sight. No such beast - also really in market for point and shoot - just love many times to play with manual photography but can always break out the tripod..

The mid size cameras (bulky) still too heavy / awkward to use for me

So love the Coolpix S9100... love the CMOS - love the display - oh so much to love about it... dont know about the ability to easily photograph pages clearly... I do that a lot now adays - photograph things to digitally store them - so much easier than a copier. I would like at least some more than basic manual settings. I wanted the D90 in a point and shoot but if Im asking for that I met as well wish to be healed. Speaking of wishes for the S9100

• Wish it shot in RAW format
  • Wish the 1080p was better
  • Wish it had ISO 6400... and longer shutter speed...
  • Wish it took better night shots
  • Wish for a larger aperture...
  • Could use a lot better stabilization for me.
  • Wish for a longer shutter speed... (e.g. tripod nut) but for those pictures - probably would be using my D80 (PS anyone know of extended life batteries that really are and not counterfeit pieces of copper in the same size/shape battery for D80?)
  • (side bar: wondering when cameras will come out with USB 3.0 adapters

Dont mind if doesnt have wireless/gps/3d blah blah - gimmicks right now.

Is S9100 my best shot? (overused? pun intended)

HP

Last edited by heartspeace; Apr 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM.
heartspeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:39 AM   #2

You already understand the essential advantages of a DSLR quite well based on your Nikon D-80 experience. The Coolpix S-910 will not come anywhere near that shooting experience. If you investigate more thoroughly, you will see that the S9100, like the S8100 before it is essentially a P+S automatic camera with precious few manual options. I sincerely do not believe that you will be a "happy camper" with the S9100.

The smallest, lightest DSLR/SLT on the market today is the Sony a33. It might be worth a look.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
You already understand the essential advantages of a DSLR quite well based on your Nikon D-80 experience. The Coolpix S-910 will not come anywhere near that shooting experience. If you investigate more thoroughly, you will see that the S9100, like the S8100 before it is essentially a P+S automatic camera with precious few manual options. I sincerely do not believe that you will be a "happy camper" with the S9100.

The smallest, lightest DSLR/SLT on the market today is the Sony a33. It might be worth a look.

Sarah Joyce
Your right I probably will be sorely disappointed, yet for a guy without a deltoid - 8.5 oz makes a lot of difference believe it or not after about 2 shots. Of course my D80 at being about being about 5oz more than the A33 its it really give or take half a lb there abouts but pretty much a full lb from the D80. I had just bought an extremely expensive lens when this deltoid damage and nerve damage happened ending senior exec career before age 40... cest la vie?

but back to my distraction of the week, I opted for the S9100 with a good return policy at a local store as my birthday present (I am thinking they wanted me to pict this out for my love of photography knowing my D80 sits, but not sure where I will shoot as I went from the beach to a very small room.

HP
Old May 6, 2011, 2:03 AM   #4

Im not disappointed at all with the camera. I do REALLY wish I knew how it stacked up against Cannon's offerings in point and shoots, or other brands.

I am under the impression the basically Nikon/Canon/Sony are top of the line and the rest try hard - but can't quite compete.

I was looking at Canon S95. For control, Ill just have to use D80 and a tripod and my nephews and nieces strong arms..

I was surprised how heavy this version was especially being very plastic, much heavier feeling (imagination?) than last years 8100 which my gf got at Costco being $80 off the S9100 cost. At Costco you also get free 4gb card and case. not bad w/ a 90 day warranty.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:07 AM   #5

The S9100 isn't even in the same league as the S95. I think Canon's SX230 is a better cam overall than the S9100 and I would say the same for last year's Panasonic models (not so sure about this years though). Canon, Panasonic, and Sony are actually the top 3 in the P&S market. Nikon isn't far behind in sales but has been struggling in the P&S market for many years in terms of quality and many enthusiasts have virtually given up on them.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
The S9100 isn't even in the same league as the S95. I think Canon's SX230 is a better cam overall than the S9100 and I would say the same for last year's Panasonic models (not so sure about this years though). Canon, Panasonic, and Sony are actually the top 3 in the P&S market. Nikon isn't far behind in sales but has been struggling in the P&S market for many years in terms of quality and many enthusiasts have virtually given up on them.
But I need specifics - not generalizations - like the S9100 has 18x zoom, a 91k screen, a CMOS sensor made by Sony, 14MP, and can take 9 pictures per second in bust mode (if my memory serves me correctly)... these are a few of the issues important to me. I discounted the Canon at the time... perhaps you would favor me by convincing me differently or perhaps a different Canon?

In looking at others, the only one that really seems to beat the pants off the Nikon S9100 is the Sony
Cyber-shotŪ Digital Camera HX9V

Just need to find out if Costco has this... doesn't matter where as I think it is the leader in non-fat point and shoots w/ exception of maybe TX9.

Convince me differently please? Just looking for best one. But from what I can see from Canon - CCD usage, much lower zoom, and pixels, better at close up shots, not as good in low level lighting due to Nikons Cmos sensor, and smaller screen/resolutios on the screens (by 1/2)... again let me know if Im missing something. Im comparing high end to high end - not to say this weirdass camera has a 320x zoom but at 1megapixel.. :
Old May 12, 2011, 1:18 AM   #7

We need more than listening. We need action!
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 1:57 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Do you want a camera that takes great pictures or looks good on the spec sheet?

The S9100 is fine. And pretty much the same as the cameras from the other manufacturers that have similar specs.

There are other small cameras that give much better picture quality by giving up some of those features. In particular if you can get past the idea that you need 4 millions of zooming and are probably mostly going to be taking pictures of things you can get reasonably close to, then there are many wonderful new cameras which can produce much better images.