Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Good morning and congrats on choosing the EPL-1. It is a good performer and should serve you well. I've enjoyed using mine taking candids of the grandkids.

As John pointed out, getting an external flash for indoor shots will help you immensely. Fortunately, the camera has a built in hot shoe that will accept Olympus Flashes ( among other compatible flash units). I use the FL-36 Olympus flash and while, it is a little large in relation to the size of the camera,
works well.

Another consideration for low light/indoor photographs is looking at getting a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 m43 lens. This lens, while pricy, is a wonderful performer
and will allow you to capture shots without the use of a flash that, otherwise would be difficult or impossible with the standard kit lens.

Good luck and most of all have fun.

Zig
After promising myself I wouldn't learn anything about photography, I've ended up spending a few hours getting to understand some aspects and it really has helped.

Thank you for the recommendation to get the 20mm f1.7 lens. I actually couldn't find it for sale anywhere online, it seems to be back-ordered. From what I read, its only disadvantage is that it has a relatively slow auto-focus, as it must move the whole unit, as opposed to the internal autofocus of the kit zoom lens. Is it possible that Panasonic may release a 20mm f1.7 that has a internal focus mechanism? Might this be worth waiting for? (Especially for video, I imagine)

I ended up actually getting the EPL-2. The larger, 2x resolution lcd and quicker/silent autofocus was worth it to me. So far I've had a great time taking pictures, some of which have really turned out beautifully.

But it would be nice to have a faster, larger aperture lens like the 20mm f1.7 for the indoor shots. I'm able to get shots indoors that are not blurry, but they tend to be slightly grainy upon closer inspection... not all, just some.

Regardless, even with the standard kit, I have taken more beautiful pictures in 1 day than I have in my whole life!

Thanks again to all.
JohnnyB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 3:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB25 View Post
After promising myself I wouldn't learn anything about photography, I've ended up spending a few hours getting to understand some aspects and it really has helped.

Thank you for the recommendation to get the 20mm f1.7 lens. I actually couldn't find it for sale anywhere online, it seems to be back-ordered. From what I read, its only disadvantage is that it has a relatively slow auto-focus, as it must move the whole unit, as opposed to the internal autofocus of the kit zoom lens. Is it possible that Panasonic may release a 20mm f1.7 that has a internal focus mechanism? Might this be worth waiting for? (Especially for video, I imagine)

I ended up actually getting the EPL-2. The larger, 2x resolution lcd and quicker/silent autofocus was worth it to me. So far I've had a great time taking pictures, some of which have really turned out beautifully.

But it would be nice to have a faster, larger aperture lens like the 20mm f1.7 for the indoor shots. I'm able to get shots indoors that are not blurry, but they tend to be slightly grainy upon closer inspection... not all, just some.

Regardless, even with the standard kit, I have taken more beautiful pictures in 1 day than I have in my whole life!

Thanks again to all.
Hi,

Haven't had a chance to look at this forum as I've been away for the weekend.

To try and answer your question relative to lens choices and Panasonic's timetable for possible add'l lenses, The earthquake and subsequent problems with trying to manufacture parts, etc. has forced Panasonic to push back release of a number of lenses that were scheduled to be announced this month. Olympus is also in the same boat but to a lesser degree as the only lens that has been under discussion is a prime 50mm f1.4 lens.

Rumor has it that Panasonic will be announcing something in late Summer or early Fall.

If it were me, I would sit tight on buying any new lenses until such time as you've had a chance to get more familiar with your camera, it's capabilities, as well as the capabilities of the lens you have.

When Panasonic announces their new lenses releases, you will have a better understanding of what your needs actually might be.

By the way, great decision on your part as the EPL-2 is the better choice having the improved lens as well as a bit better controls.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; May 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote