Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Default FAST Camera on SUPERTIGHT Budget

Hello, all! I'm looking into replacing my camera, a Toshiba PDR-M4, as I haven't seen it since Christmas. I suppose the toddler may have happened upon it, but I'm missing some wonderful 2yo moments without it.

My old camera was purchased new in 1999, and I'm guessing you are all amazed that I held onto it for so long. LOL...I hope this shows how tight our budget is, and that you can make some recommendations for a replacement.

The one factor I always appreciated about my Toshiba was the low shutter lag and shot-to-shot time. I'm not picky about much else...can't be with the budget, but longevity would be appreciated. I've used some newer cameras while taking pics for friends and they have all made me appreciate my Toshiba all the more as they all seemed to take forever from push button to capturing the image.

Our price range is as low as possible - (STRETCH)$250 for an impossible to miss deal. I prefer to stay under $150.

A large retailer will have the Canon A2200 for $90 next week, and another store will have the Kodak C143 for $60. Any input or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Regards,
alamode
alamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:00 PM   #2

Canon SX130, $180 shipped, though it has been cheaper in the past and may be again for Mother's Day. In fact, I would definitely wait for Mother's Day sales regardless of what you buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...USA-_-30120456
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Canon SX130, $180 shipped, though it has been cheaper in the past and may be again for Mother's Day. In fact, I would definitely wait for Mother's Day sales regardless of what you buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...USA-_-30120456
Thanks, FiveO! It's going to be on sale next week for $150 w/a $15 gift card. I really think I'll like the feel and weight on this, too. I'm looking forward to having optical zoom - what a treat! It also appears to take good close-ups.

I'm off to compare this to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3.

My brother also just mentioned he may have an old Canon G2 hanging around. He said if he can find it, it's mine. He's unsure if he still has the accessories, however.

Thanks for taking the time to help my family make a solid choice to preserve our memories.
alamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:51 PM   #4

The ZR3 is also a decent cam but if you don't mind the larger size of the SX130, I think it's a better choice overall.