Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1

Default advice on super zooms

I am looking out for super zooms

Shortlisted

Panasonic FZ35/40/100

Nikon P100/500

Canon SX30IS

Which one is the best to buy.

Also recently the FZ40/100 prices have shot up ..any known reasons ?

Thanks
ggauravonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2

FZ40 has been discontinued so that would likely be why the price has gone up. Also, with the mass destruction in Japan, a lot of companies have had production problems which has shortened the supply and consequently, probably affected the price.

Anyway, which is best depends on your needs. Best IQ I'd give to the FZ35/FZ40 and the SX30, though I find the FZ35/FZ40 to be better cameras overall due to better handling and far less CA. All of the CMOS cameras offer better burst modes, but the images are softer and noisier. The color on the FZ100 is excellent though.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:22 AM   #3

i was always a canon fan,but looking at the performance for FZ100/FZ40 on youtube ,i am getting inclined towards it.Apart from low light performance all looks great in FZ100.

My main interests are in the 1080p video to capture HD videos and the slow mo feature at 220fps..i don't own a camcorder hence i want my digi cam to do both for me,good IQ pics and HD videos since i have a young kid and i want to capture all his activities on images/videos.

Is 1080p and 720p very different,or rather how different they are in terms of clarity of the videos?
ggauravonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4

I would not buy another non-dslr Nikon camera again. My wife had one, and we got rid of it after only 2 years cause of horrible focusing issues (which I read a lot of non-dslr Nikon cameras have).

Canon makes a really good camera. The SX30 is a good camera, but it only offers videos in 720p HD and doesn't have as many functions available on the camera. Plus the camera felt to much like plastic, rather than a sturdy solid platform to shoot with.

Panasonic has GREAT cameras. Each camera comes with A LOT of functions and modes to shoot with. The FZ35/40 is probably one of the best cameras out there. I purchased the FZ100 cause I wanted the CMOS censor. So, I could take burst mode pics, and it takes videos in 1080p HD. The FZ100 can take high quality sports shots with ease. The down side to these cameras is there is a steep learning curve on them, if you are moving from compact P&S cameras (amature(sp) like me), (cause of all the functions they have). But with some practice, IMO, they are the best cameras out there.

So, here is my list of cameras to consider in order of best to worst. IMO

1. FZ100
2. FZ35/40
3. SX30IS
4. P100
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Wolf View Post
I would not buy another non-dslr Nikon camera again. My wife had one, and we got rid of it after only 2 years cause of horrible focusing issues (which I read a lot of non-dslr Nikon cameras have).
I agree completely and my experience has been the same. My old Nikon Coolpix was a good cam, but that was a good 7 years ago. I think that was one of the last good P&S models Nikon made.

Quote:
Canon makes a really good camera. The SX30 is a good camera, but it only offers videos in 720p HD and doesn't have as many functions available on the camera. Plus the camera felt to much like plastic, rather than a sturdy solid platform to shoot with.
I owned the SX30 for several weeks but due to the excessive CA, no option to limit ISO, and overall feel/handling, I returned it in favor of the FZ40.

If video and/or speed is your primary concern, the FZ100 is definitely worth looking at. If still image quality is more your concern, the FZ35/FZ40 definitely best the FZ100 in that area.

As for low light ... all bridge cams do very poorly in low light, due in large part to their tiny sensors.