Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2011, 1:08 PM   #1

Default new camera for wife

My wife would like to get a new camera and upgrade from her Canon SD400.
She is looking at some of the camera's with the 16x-26x zoom and has a short lag time between snapping pictures. (we have our first grandchild coming and she does not want to miss anything)

One that she has been looking at is the Pentax X90. This is in the price range that we are looking at of $250-$350.

I know there are other similar cameras out there and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks
Frank
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2011, 4:57 PM   #2

Both the Panasonic FZ35 and FZ40 will offer better image quality and just an overall better package. Keep in mind that any bridge camera is not going to be able to capture that moving child very well indoors. That is the realm of dSLRs, micro 4/3, etc.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Both the Panasonic FZ35 and FZ40 will offer better image quality and just an overall better package. Keep in mind that any bridge camera is not going to be able to capture that moving child very well indoors. That is the realm of dSLRs, micro 4/3, etc.
Thanks for the input. Is the FZ40 the replacement for the FZ35? The FZ35 is more in the price range we are looking to spend.

The shutter lag time in the review section looks pretty goof and the 18x zoom would probably be plenty.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Thanks for the information. It looks like the Panasonics shutter lag time is pretty minimal which is my wifes pet peeve with digital cameras.
The FZ35 is more in the price range we are looking at and I think 18x zoom would probably do the job very nicely.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:06 PM   #5

Default upgrade for your wife

Dear TASDSLR,

In my house, my beloved bride gets an upgraded camera by me getting a new camera and she get's my camera.

So, if you were to invoke my rule, "What camera do you have that your wife is getting?" And therefore, what camera do you want?

(I sincerely hope your wife isn't a member here.)

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 4:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
Thanks for the information. It looks like the Panasonics shutter lag time is pretty minimal which is my wifes pet peeve with digital cameras.
The FZ35 is more in the price range we are looking at and I think 18x zoom would probably do the job very nicely.
Yes, the FZ40 is the replacement for the FZ35. The color/AWB is a little better on the FZ40 and it has several other improvements, but the FZ35 image quality is actually slightly better (slightly less noise, slightly more fine detail). The FZ35 is also noticeably smaller than the FZ40, which for some people is a big plus. I don't know if you plan on shooting in RAW at all, but the FZ35 is also slightly, but noticeably, faster when writing to the card in RAW mode. I owned both and chose to keep the FZ40, but it was a hard decision as each is better in some areas than the other. The bottom line is that I think you would be happy w/ either.
Old May 7, 2011, 8:19 AM   #7

I ended up ordering a FZ35 from Abe's yesterday and should have it by Tuesday according to the tracking info. Looking forward to trying it out!
Old May 7, 2011, 9:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Dear TASDSLR,

In my house, my beloved bride gets an upgraded camera by me getting a new camera and she get's my camera.

So, if you were to invoke my rule, "What camera do you have that your wife is getting?" And therefore, what camera do you want?

(I sincerely hope your wife isn't a member here.)

FP
That's how we do it in my home as well, simply because my wife doesn't really care that much, but she does like to have a reliable DSLR. I doubt if I'll hand my current camera down to her, however, simply because it's so large that she would hate using it.