Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2011, 1:19 PM   #1

Default 100 pics in 5 minutes?

Hey guys,
I have a small business cleaning out bank foreclosed homes. When I goto a house, I take ~100 photos of the house as fast as I can(typically the camera is what slows me down). I had a Kodak Zxxx(misplaced it/was stolen). It took photos very quickly, but the transfer to the memory card was slow so that after 6-7 photos i'd have to wait for that to complete. I tried a $40 memory card and they improved speed slightly but still not enough.

Any good suggestions on a camera for this purpose? I am not concerned with quality, as typically i reduce these images to 50k before sending in.

Price is not a huge factor, but of course the more cost effective the better. My previous one was around $250.

Thanks!
Chase
Ruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2011, 2:30 PM   #2

What FFE focal length do you want? I think any interior needs at least 24, and I often use 12 or so. There is a Samsung that has a zoom that goes to 24 and I know its popular with realtors etc.

If you find yourself waiting for the picture to be written to card you probably need a faster card. The Transcend SDHC Class 10 are by far the best deal going - fast, cheap, reliable and very high quality. I have four of the 32gb ones.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:31 PM   #3

Virtually any currently manufactured DSLR has a large enough buffer space to shoot continuously in JPEG at 3 fps (~ 100 in 5 min.) but I'm not really sure that's what you want.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 9:58 PM   #4

Check out the Panasonic FZ100. It's the fastest bridge/P&S cam I've ever used.

Be wary of the Transcend Class 10 cards. There are 2 distinct models and 1 performs at its rated speeds, whereas the other performs below Class 6 speeds. That said, Class 6 is more than enough for any P&S/bridge cam on the market. A faster card will just be a waste of money since the camera won't be capable of writing that fast anyway.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5

So which Transcend cards are fast and which slow? I have their class 10 SDHC cards and their 400x CF cards, and so far I can't fault any of them.
Old May 3, 2011, 2:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
So which Transcend cards are fast and which slow? I have their class 10 SDHC cards and their 400x CF cards, and so far I can't fault any of them.
Well "slow" is relative. In any P&S camera, you wouldn't know the difference between a Class 6 and a Class 10 because no P&S can write faster than Class 6 speeds anyway (and not even that in reality). This is the one I had. There was a sale on them last summer and everyone who bought one (couple hundred people) and ran a PC benchmark discovered that they were running slower than Class 6 cards, including Transcend's own Class 6. At the time, Transcend was making 2 of the same card with 2 distinct model numbers, but it looks like they only have one model listed now.

Again, it's transparent to anyone running the card on a P&S cam, since a Class 6 is more than fast enough.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:29 AM   #7

Depends on which P&S. My Canon G10 needs a fast card when I'm shooting RAW.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:43 AM   #8

If you want continuous photos of indifferent quality, have you considered using something like a Flip digital video camera and just extracting the stills that you want?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 10:45 AM   #9

How about the Casio H10? It has a zoom range from 24mm to 240mm and a battery life of 1000 shots. Look on this site for a review. A number of places online including Adorama are selling it for less than $150.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 6:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the input guys. Will purchase something this weekend. As far as video, I think that would be too time-consuming.

An example would be today, where I have three new houses that I have to go take around 100 photographs for each one, then come home and rename each photo to what room they are in the house.

Does anyone have experience with the wireless SD cards?
Ruman is offline   Reply With Quote