Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2011, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Down to D7000 or 60D Help !

Going to Italy in June. D7000 or 60D ? With or without lens ? Want to buy one GREAT all around use lens and an extra battery. The more I research the farther I get from buying and this is killing me.
go2shh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2011, 5:29 PM   #2

if you like to shoot some action every now and then, the 60D is the better option. It has a much larger buffer, while the d7000 has a smaller one, so you only get about 2.5 sec at 6fps burst before it slows down to 1fps. And the AF of the 60D was tested to be slightly faster by 2 review mags. They both have 9 cross type points. And those are the ones you want to use for fastest and most accurate AF.

But if you go are into general photography, both are very good. The kit lenses are decent walk around lenses, but there are better options.

If you want 1 all in one lens, look at the tamron 18-270mm PZ, not the older one. It focus faster with the PZ motor. That would be my pick with either the nikon or canon. But a megazoom lens is a compromise. It will not be as good as a 2 lens set covering the same ranges. But it is easier to travel with.

HD, the canon does a better job.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3

I am interested in this as well. A lot of places I have looked online have recommended the D7000 over the 60d.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4

It comes down to what you like to shoot, d7000 is not a great action camera. But in other departments, it is a really nice camera. But both camera are closer in performance in reality and really not so difference. Most to the things the online sites point out are splitting hairs between the 2. Nikon you get 6fps for about 2.5 sec for about 14-16 photo, canon you get 5.3 fps and you shoot till the 50 shoot buffer is fill before it slows down.

The HD AF in not that good, you are better off not using it.
Micro Adjustment, people make it out to be more then it is. Most people that have camera that has it rarely ever use it. And the HD in the canon system is more advance and is the prefer by HD shooters.

Low light both are only really good up to 6400iso, anything above that is really noise and not worth shooting unless you plan on accepting a ton of PP noise reduction and not a sharp image.

Body metal vs plastic is a pink elephant. Only the top plate and back plate on the d7000 is metal, the rest is plastic. And the plastic they use on the canon is a very high grade plastic. So both camera a very durable.

Image quality resolution and iq has pass the point where you will see a difference with the naked eye, you will have to look at 100% and pixel peep to tell the difference. So it is in reality a moot point unless you print super larger poster, and I mean super large to see any difference.

Lenses, both system offer an excellent upgrade path. And both offer a good body upgrade path as well.

So

Last edited by shoturtle; May 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: left out an important word in the opening sentence.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Sorry, but I can't comprehend - why would anyone want to spend the money on an imaging machine like d7000 or 60d and cripple it with a super-zoom lens? It's a serious question. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If you're going to limit the capabilities to images from a super zoom lens, you're honestly better off saving money on the body too - buy an entry level model.

Or, to put it another way: what is it you require out of d7000/60d that you can't get with d3100/1100d?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6

Default Excellent response! May consider D5100 VS T3i

A great point has been made. If I cannot drive a F 1 car or dont need a F 1 car dont buy one. If I purchase the D5100 or the T3i I may be better off and will have some money left over for a realy good lens choice. Now D5100 or T3i ?
go2shh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:56 PM   #7

T3i is the better HD camera, it has the better AF system the AF form the d5100 is from the d5000 which was not better then the one in the t1i,t2i, t3i or t3. Burst rate are close at 3.7fps vs 4fps. The lcd of the canon is higher resolution screen. The D5100 does not not have AF when used nikon and 3rd party lenses without built in motors. You need to make sure you get nikon AF-s lenses or third party lenses with motors.

But you can still get the tamron 18-270 PZ, the PZ does focus fast so while it is not as sharp, it will keep up with the d7000 or 60d, and will have no issues keeping up with the d5100 or t3i.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:39 PM   #8

Do you think the 60d is worth the extra money over the T3i? The body of the 60d feels much better in the hand in my opinion, but they pretty much have the same function, and I like that the T3i has the 10x digital zoom in video mode.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 7:50 PM   #9

Yes, if you want to shot action and want a better af system. It has 9 cross type af points vs 1 with the t3i. And it has a much faster burst rate.

The hd video zoom, is a nice add.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes, if you want to shot action and want a better af system. It has 9 cross type af points vs 1 with the t3i. And it has a much faster burst rate.

The hd video zoom, is a nice add.
But if you want to shoot action, the t3I with appropriate lens will outperform the 60d with superzoom lens. Action photography is more complicated than shoturtle makes it out - the lens plays just as much a part as the body.

Also - with action it's even MORE complicated depending on the specifics of the type of action. For example, most competant sports shooters use a single focus point only. Some birders use single point and some use multi-point (usually multi point for smaller subjects). It's worth noting that many serious sports shooters are using f2.8 or faster lenses. In canon's system not all cross-type sensors are created equal. Some are also high precision - which means they have a tighter tolerance for focus accuracy - that's extremely beneficial when using the shallow DOF created by those f2.8 or wider lenses. So, even though a camera may have multiple cross-type sensors, serious sports shooters tend to stick with only the high precision points on the canon cameras.

Again, where one gets into trouble is when they over-generalize as shoturtle is doing here. That's why it's important to understand specific requirements of an individual shooter. So, whether or not a focus point is cross-type is only part of the discussion. And, depending on your specific shooting situations it may not be the most important part.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote