Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2011, 8:05 PM   #1

Default Casio ZR10

Would this be a good choice for capturing fast action shots on a fishing trip? Looking for a pocket cam instead of my DSLR.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2

I have not even touched a ZR10. I did, however, have a Casio FH20, a superzoom from several years back. These high speed Casios have really fast burst modes - 30 frames per second. I don't their shutter lags are slow either, but lots of compact cameras have fairly short shutter lags, maybe even faster than that of the ZR10.
Two things come to mind when I read your post.
1. If I am taking a picture of a batter hitting a baseball, I can focus on home plate and then take the picture as the pitcher releases the ball. I will almost certainly get a good shot. However, fishing is different. It's more unpredictable. So are you hoping to take a picture of someone catching a fish or of the scenery in the river, lake, or ocean surrounding the fishermen?
Maybe you don't need a fast burst mode.
2. Can you be reasonably sure that your camera is not going to get wet? If you can't, you might instead consider getting one of those "tough" cameras made by Olympus, Fuji, Canon, and others.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Robbo, the shots are indeed unpredictable. I have taken these trips for the past 5 years. The boat is about 130' by 30' and I normally keep a point and shoot camera in my pocket. An example of the kind of shot I missed a couple years ago, a friend was fighting a rather large yellowfin tuna at Guadalupe Island and out of no where came a 15' great white shark and had his sushi for the day. By the time I pulled out my slow P&S, the shark was gone. It is also common for a fish to come out of the water numerous times and it would be good to have a "fast" camera. My DSLR works great but it is just too large to keep with me while also fishing.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:40 PM   #4

For me, there are three "lags" in digital photography.
1. The lag between the time you press the shutter button until the time the picture is taken. (not prefocused, not having pushed the shutter button down halfway).
2. the same as number 1, but after your camera is prefocused.
3. the time between shots

It seems to me that you want a camera that has a short number 1 type lag. I ordered the the ZR100 and it will arrive next week, but I don't know how long its lags are now.

I think some of the Sonys and Panasonics have very short shutter lags, but here's the rub. You are sitting on your boat in the warm sun, holding your new point and shoot camera. You are talking with an interesting fellow passenger when suddenly you hear a shot from the stern. Someone has spotted Jaws. You still have to turn your camera on, and in most cases it takes a couple of seconds. You can keep your camera turned on, but most cameras turn themselves off after 5 or 10 minutes to extend battery life. You need to be really vigilant to catch a shot of that fish or dolphin. Does that spoil the good time you have on the boat socializing?

I like the Panasonic FZ35 though it's hard to find now. I am also not sure if it is too big for you.

Let us know what you decide.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 8:23 PM   #5

First of all, thanks for replying. I've pondered the new Panasonic lifeproof camera but keep getting drawn back to the Casio. My trip isn't until August. Many of the opportunities can be anticipated. You see a bud hooked up to a good dorado and you know the jumps are coming but others are less predictable. I would love to hear what you think about the Casio.

Last year we were in a wide open bite when up comes a curious whale shark. A waterproof cam woulld have been nice. I am also interested in the HDR function as we get some amazing photo ops of high contrast scenes but from a moving boat, taking three pix is difficult at best.